Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Best use of derived sketch?

alexander_potochkinalexander_potochkin Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
Hello

I have two part studios and now I need to add a similar feature to both of it.
This feature should be multiplied and used in several part of the existing details.

So I created a separate sketch and now I am going to derive several copies of it
and use them in both studios.

I can't figure out how to correctly place a derived sketch to a particular plane.
Is it possible at all?

Can I derive a sketch many times within one part studio
and use different copies of it in different planes?

Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    If you don't care about the parametric link you could just use the sketch copy and paste. The best thing about this is it takes all the dim's and constraints as well.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derived sketches in Onshape are currently a faint foreshadow of what they will (hopefully) be in future. 
  • Options
    why not make one body that has the shape of the feature you want to add/remove. Then you derive this body into your designs, and use the move feature (with mate locators) to multiply and locate multiple copies of this part all around the design. Then you can use the boolean operation to subtract/add the feature to the design.
    Using the boolean operator you can specify all the bodies to subtract/add (tools) and all the bodies to add/subtract (targets) in one go.

It seems to me that you would have a much easier job of doing changes in this way.

Hope this helps you (I wish I was smart enough to do one of those giffy movie thingies, but alas I am not)
    I also tried to derive a separate part instead of a sketch. The same problem - it is not clear how I can reposition the derived part to a specific place in my part studio. I need to add it in one side of my part and subtract from another side. This is a static design, so I don't use assemblies and mates. 
  • Options

If you don't care about the parametric link you could just use the sketch copy and paste. The best thing about this is it takes all the dim's and constraints as well.
    Unfortunately I do care about the parametric link, so I need to tweak this derived part so it changes in all the places.
  • Options
    Hello Andrew

Thanks a lot for your suggestion on using the derived parts together with "transform with connectors" feature!
    I didn't realize it was so easy to do.

Have a great day!