Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Watermarking of 3D Model

imagineeredimagineered Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
Not that I expect this to be available within Onshape, but has anyone had experience with watermarking a 3D model?
For security of models, I would be interested in the ability to provide a dumb solid with a watermark that cannot be removed (or so difficult to remove it wouldn't be viable )
Any experience or ideas??

Best Answer

Answers

• pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    @imagineered Now I'm curious... what would you be doing with that watermark?
  • imagineeredimagineered Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    @pete_yodis , I have seen methods of sharing design info as per Onshape & other packages.
    The problem I have seen is that some clients are wanting Solid Models to inspect & this can cause commercial problems.
    ie taking the info elsewhere to have manufactured and or collecting info without payment.
    2D drawings are easy. 3D is a prob.  Sharing through Onshape may be the best solution

Seimens have a PCF (Package collaboration file) where the Assys Parts & drgs can be accessed & measured & marked up but copying can be locked out
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    Seimens have a PCF (Package collaboration file) where the Assys Parts & drgs can be accessed & measured & marked up but copying can be locked out
    @imagineered What you are really after is a way to lock information from ever leaving the Onshape document, correct?  But, if it did... the 3D watermark would provide another hassle to the individual trying to take the information.  Is that correct?
    edited November 2015
    @pete_yodis  - Yep
    Basically want theft prevented  - or at least models to be unusable until paid for