Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Selecting faces in render studio

shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 802 PRO
Is there no way to select faces ATM other then expanding the item from the left panel and selecting the exposed faces one by one until the correct one is highlighted in the graphics area?  I was hoping there might be some secret key combination you could hold down while clicking on the face you want to select.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    Paul_ArdenPaul_Arden Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 164
    Answer ✓
    That's a great point @emagdalenaC2i, if they are the same appearances on each face this should work.

Another option if you just want to temporarily have all of the faces in the Part use the parts appearance is to use the "Override" setting on the appearance attribute of the part. Note that to see this option you first need to expand the part to show its faces (Override only appears when the selected item has children).

If you have other face appearances you want to preserve this isn't going to help and selecting by face appearance would probably work better. The nice thing about overrides is you can turn them on and off.

Now, where do I get that super cool Wood Grain feature! :smile:

Answers

• Options
    Currently there isn't a way to directly select it in the viewport. We are working on improvements in this area but in the meantime there might be other ways to achieve what you want with less effort. What exactly are you wanting to select the faces for?

If you are wanting to apply an appearance to multiple faces at once, the fastest way (even if we did add direct selection) would be to assign them a face appearance all with the same color (and a color different from others used) in your Part Studio, then use the Copy/Paste appearance functionality to replace the appearance assigned to the faces.

Just to note that while you can't actually select the face element by clicking in the viewport, the appearance panel will show the appearance for the given face you clicked if it has one rather than the appearance of the part. This can help you determine which appearance in the scene appearances you need to replace with the desired one.
  • Options
    Hi @Paul_Arden
    I was hoping to select a face from the view port so that I could remove an appearance that was already applied to it.  For instance, I often render something that has many configs.  some of the configs need the interior of an object to have a different appearance applied to the inner faces(diamond plate aluminum).  Then, when continuing with the rendering process, I sometimes need to remove this material applied to the inner faces and the only way to do this seems to be by actually selecting the face itself so that I can get access to the invisible location just to the right of the appearance tab label inside the object properties tab.  Selecting the part by clicking on the face seems to only expose the parts appearance and when right clicking on the invisible location to the right of the appearance label and selecting "remove", all the appearances that were applied to faces do not get removed.
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may be able to select faces based on the appearance they will have applied in Onshape

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    That's a great point @emagdalenaC2i, if they are the same appearances on each face this should work.

Another option if you just want to temporarily have all of the faces in the Part use the parts appearance is to use the "Override" setting on the appearance attribute of the part. Note that to see this option you first need to expand the part to show its faces (Override only appears when the selected item has children).

If you have other face appearances you want to preserve this isn't going to help and selecting by face appearance would probably work better. The nice thing about overrides is you can turn them on and off.

Now, where do I get that super cool Wood Grain feature! :smile:

• Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    Thanks @emagdalenaC2i and @Paul_Arden
    The override technique will work perfectly for me.  It is actually dealing quite precisely with what I need because I would like to just turn off the override when creating another scene of a different config that needs to still have the inner faces a different appearance.  Customizing the part with different part level face appearances will not work in my case sadly.  Most of what I am working with is highly configured "library" items.  I could create an in context part studio and transform some of the parts into it to customize just for the rendering which I may actually do.  It could be faster in some cases then digging through 100+ faces just to find the one with the appearance applied.  I see the override option working though most of the time.