Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Threads made with sweep appear to fail if sketch on wrong plane

iain_downsiain_downs Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
Attempting to make an external thread with a helix and a triangular sketch fails if the sketch on one plan (right) but succeeds if sketch on front plane.
Example of failure
Example of success
Post with initial problem (with thanks to Eric)

Iain
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 578 ✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that as the sweep develops along the spiral that a nonmanifold condition may occur.

• Options
    the sketch was the same in both cases (I just switched the plane) and a little less than the pitch.  Check out the examples...

Iain
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,504 PRO
    edited February 2023
    I can confirm the only difference between failure and success was if the sketch was at the start of the helix vs somewhere long it...
    Onshape doesn't normally care where the profile is to do a sweep but in this case it did for some reason...
  • Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    It didn't look to me that the profile and sweep actually intersect in the failure sweep. - Scotty
  • Options
    All I did between the bad one and the good one was to change the sketch plane in the profile.  In both cases there was (should have been) a pierce constraint between the helix and the profile.

Iain