Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sheet Metal Onshape User Group Meeting

bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭
On March 23rd we will be hosting an Onshape User Group Meeting with Sheet Metal as the topic. We will have plenty to see with some sheet metal modeling techniques by @eric_pesty and Ethan Keller of Onshape will demo some of the upcoming functionality of sheet metal that was recently shown at Onshape Live 2023. Come one Come all!

3:45pm - Meeting open for networking
4:00pm - Opening remarks by Bryan
4:10pm - Sheet metal by Bryan
4:20pm - Sheet metal by Eric Pesty
4:40pm - Sheet metal sneak peek - Ethan Keller
5:00pm - Meeting ends, Q&A, prize drawing

Bryan Lagrange
Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

Comments

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    Yeah, i had to leave the live show halfway through the second video, so I didn't get to see much yet.. I gotta go back and watch the on demand yet..

Hey, I might be able to make this early meeting since I'll be at home recovering from surgery and not working. Heck yeah
  • Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 578 ✭✭✭
    See you there. :)
  • Options
    Here is a look at the door prize giveaway. Sheet metal and Onshape themed stainless steel desk organizer. All who attend are eligible for the end of the meeting drawing. Come one! Come all! Hope to see you there!

Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    Still time to register for tomorrow's meeting. Hope to see many of you there.

3:45pm - Meeting open for networking
    4:00pm - Opening remarks by Bryan
    4:10pm - Sheet metal by Bryan
    4:20pm - Sheet metal by Eric Pesty
    4:40pm - Sheet metal sneak peek - Ethan Keller
    5:00pm - Meeting ends, Q&A, prize drawing

Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    Thank you to all who attended this evening’s user group meeting. Many more to come! 

Special thanks to @eric_pesty for presenting!
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    @bryan_lagrange
    Thanks for organizing the meeting!

It was definitely worth staying up late for that! I learned many new tricks from everyone!

@john_mcclary
    Thanks for sharing the FeatureScript to obtain an editable 3D part from the flat pattern!
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d075777b23239493791a6871/w/397dabbf4f532daf03a395c5/e/904c42aa0d85c24083eeed8f

• Options
    Glad you could make it @sebastian_glanzner
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    Very good meeting. Usually, I pick up one or 2 small things at every meeting but last night's meet gave some big tips and features. I was pleased to have been corrected on flat feature that I have not been using because I didn't think it worked. Turns out it does, just not on some of the curves I've been working with.
  • Options
    One of my goals for the meeting was to share and learn new sheet metal modeling tips and tricks. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the meeting @glen_dewsbury .
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    @glen_dewsbury I created this cylinder with the cutout tabbed into the flat to help keep the shape of the cutout when rolling. I was wondering if something like this would work for you.

Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    Thanks @bryan_lagrange. That's where I'm today. Well almost. Still having some problems. I suspect it was because of the splines used in the beginning. There seems to be a disconnect between 'use then offset' that gives some unelectable areas or what appears to select then when accepted the new material does not get applied to the model. I have a query in with support to see if they can tell me why.
    As an aside, sometimes when opening a document, the sheet metal tab isn't there. A refresh of the browser tab brings it back.
    Yes, it was a good group. I'm surprised more don't show up. Especially beginners.
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 663 PRO
    edited March 2023
    Apologies I don't recall during the call which member had suggested splitting the face of the cylinder so the faces inside the hole/ellipse would not have many edges. I tried and the faces were clean, but I had some other trouble areas.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b7e4cf846118b950fe91c322/v/0376788efa42cdce763638fa/e/92f230b60794da87291d9fb8?renderMode=0&uiState=64205e6f95b22b4ec8022b57

On the "split faces" trial, I couldn't get the entire cylinder in the sheetmetal, even if I split its edge. I also couldn't get the split faces of the holes to only be on one side of the sheetmetal, rather than "thru all". I even tried moving the sketch planes outside of the cylinder, and also tried projecting the curve first, rather than doing it all in the split face command.

Next attempt I tried a shell technique in the solids, to get the exact shape, then thickened that in the sheetmetal tool. That worked to get the overall sheetmetal shape with clean holes. However when adding the webbing feature (last sketch), I could not get its sketch to be concentric with the existing hole. @bryan_lagrange, how did you constrain your sketch3 to be concentric to the ellipse? I turned on constraints on your sketch and have trouble figuring out how you did it.

Thanks.
  • Options
    sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    @nick_papageorge073

Hi Nick, I was the one suggesting to split the face and then create the sheet metal model by using "Thicken".

I repaired the model. The trick is to extrude surfaces which don't go through the cylinder. Then you can split only one side of it:

Here is the model:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ebdd46f0c7238106f2aa7d1e/w/8a0657c3f63210c2e83ff8e1/e/7c5f99308bdcbf12c45b0607?renderMode=0&uiState=64214d1e7e98063712d431be

• Options
    @nick_papageorge073 I included the ellipse and drew construction lines that would intersect the profile to get the center. 
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options

So here is a technique, a bit lengthy, but should work.

On the flat pattern, include the perimeter of the ellipse to get geometry. draw a horizontal on top and on bottom, and a vertical line on the right and left side of the ellipse. Use a tangent relationship to attach the lines to the ellipse. This should put it on the edge of the ellipse. I then extend and trim the lines to create a rectangle around the ellipse. I then draw a vertical and horizontal line and add a relationship to snap the line to a mid point on the vertical and horizontal lines of the rectangle. Once again extend and trim these lines. You should have something like this:

Here is the link to the model. The sketch is on the flat pattern of sheet metal model 2.

Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    @sebastian_glanzner thank you. That worked, and I'll probably use that technique one day.
  • Options
    @bryan_lagrange, got it, thanks. That "is" brute force, ha ha. But if it works, it works:)
  • Options
    @nick_papageorge073 I have learned over my CAD career when it comes to sheet metal, especially in the early development days in a CAD software, brute force is necessary. :) I first experienced it with Solid Edge and now with Onshape. Hopefully this community can help Onshape raise and surpass the level Solid Edge has obtained.
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    Maybe there could be a “BRUTE FORCE” feature script created to help in difficult times. :)
    Bryan Lagrange