Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Student User Group Needs Some Help

richard_doylerichard_doyle Member, User Group Leader Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭
Hi Everyone,
We have two very excited students - Imants Smidchens (yes, Alnis' brother) and Lillian Gellings that have volunteered to lead a student user group. The first meeting is scheduled for today, but there are only 3 people registered. There are a lot of reasons why, but none of them have anything to do with these two fine young people. They have decided to go ahead with the meeting and the presentations (two good ones), and are already planning for a second meeting. A lot of other people would have been discouraged, but not Imants and Lillian.

So I'm asking the folks here, if you have a few moments at 4:00pm PDT/7:00pm EDT, stop by the meeting and show some support. You might even enjoy the sessions and learn something :smile:.

You'll have to register, but its easy and here is the direct link - https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIvfu2qrDovGtf9DKuCny65tgFd7DTmKeVi

TIA,

Richard

Comments

• Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 664 PRO
    I'm double the age, but I'll attend:)
  • Options
    I'm double the age, but I'll attend:)
    I appreciate that Nick. BTW - I'm triple the age :smile:
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    I'll try to make it
  • Options
    I'll try to make it
    Thanks John.
  • Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good meeting. Hopefully we can get the word out and grow the attendance for the next one.
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    sorry I didn't make it until the end.. but the last few minutes told me I probably missed something good. I could tell in those last moments they were completely in touch with the power of true parametric CAD.
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 664 PRO
    edited April 2023
    That was fun, thanks!

I checked out both the spur gear FS's. They don't have what I was mentioned of "profile shift". The adjustment it has is to thin the whole gear by offsetting its surface for backlash is something different. Profile shift is a specialized tooth modification when the number of teeth becomes too small, that there is undercutting on the tooth, which minimizes its strength. Its dependent only on pressure angle and module. For a 20 module gear, any tooth number under 18, for example, would have undercutting.

Actually, now that I played around with this more, this FS is inaccurate for smaller number of teeth. It might work ok for 3D printing hobby stuff, but it could not be used for mass production at a gear vendor. Its doing something wrong with smaller number of teeth. Its not undercutting them (which would be accurate). Then, the designer could add a profile shift to get rid of the undercut. A corresponding profile shift in the opposite direction on the mating gear would need to be made so the gear pair meshes properly.

This is the sort of stuff you need the specialized gear profile generators, that typically only gear mass producers have. That's been my experience with injection molded gears years ago.

Here is a web link of what I'm talking about:

https://khkgears.net/new/gear_knowledge/abcs_of_gears-b/gear_profile_shift.html

An 8 tooth, 20 deg pressure angle gear should not look like this:

Here is a 
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    Yes. Molded gears are very tricky as you're designing the tool, not the end result. So variable amounts of shrink need to be taken into account from tip to root. Larger gears may have more than one gate, and the pitch circle of the tool may not be round in order to end up with something round when the part cools. If the gears are only used for a single product, they are often designed specifically for each stage.
    https://www.geartechnology.com/ext/resources/issues/0500x/Kleiss.pdf

That said, whatever specialized software these companies use for gear design could, in theory, be ported to Featurescript. 

Similarly, I'd love to see spring design tools ported to Featurescript.