Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - June 29th, 2023

Roy_MutalikRoy_Mutalik Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 34
edited July 2023 in New in Onshape
Welcome to our second release of June and, once again, it includes a wide variety of features: surfacing, drawings, productivity tools, usability improvements, and more. Let's take a look.

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

DIHEDRAL ANALYSIS 

A new evaluation tool for measuring the dihedral angle between two faces is now available: Dihedral analysis. Click the Show analysis tools icon at the bottom right corner of the screen to access this tool. Note that Interference detection and Curve/edge analysis tools are also accessed from here.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/pikijisssu

CREATE ISOCLINES

A new feature to create Isoclines (curves on a face) is now available. Select one or more faces, a direction of reference, and an angle. Isoclines are useful for generating silhouette curves and tangency lines for adding manual draft.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/wis4ekvz1q

CUSTOM FRAME PROFILE LIBRARIES

Users may now create and manage their own Frame profile libraries. Professional and Enterprise licenses allow companies to have a shared frame library managed by an administrator. In addition, each individual user can set up their own frame profile library folder for their own use.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/eqj3qtsq9o

All current Onshape library profiles have also been made publicly available. If you wish to entirely manage your own library and include a subset of the standard profiles as well, you may copy them from the links below

ISO:

DRAWING IMPROVEMENTS

INSPECTION TABLE PANEL

Onshape Inspection items are now visible directly in the Drawings environment from a panel on the right hand side.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/0en52pyfa9

AUXILIARY VIEW: ANGULAR DIMENSION TO VIEW INDICATOR 

You can now dimension directly to the arrow-style view indicator for an Auxiliary view. This is a convenient way to call out the angle of the Auxiliary view.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/i6ah8spfkr

PROJECT SECTION VIEW WITH CUT

When projecting a section view, you now have the option to include the cut in the resultant view. By default, the cut is not shown, but you can hold the SHIFT key before placing the view to enable it. It also can be turned on or off at any time from the view properties.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/x75fv7n5ew

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

DOCUMENT DASHBOARD: PUBLICATIONS REFERRING TO DOCUMENT 

The Document dashboard now includes a Publications Referring to Document field. This shows how many (and which) publications have an element from this document being referenced. You can think of this like a Where used but specifically for finding Publications.

IMPROVED PERFORMANCE OF TEAM ACTIVITY DASHBOARDS

Changes have been made to Enterprise reports to drastically improve the load time when drilling down into specific Team Activity dashboards. In certain instances, it is reported to load 4 to 5 times faster than before.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,383 PRO
    Well that took me by surprise. Very happy to see native support for dihedral analysis and creating isoclines! Looking forward to digging in more...
  • Options
    Nick_HolzemNick_Holzem Member Posts: 61 PRO
    Well this is a pleasant surprise  :)
  • Options
    Lucas_KuhnsLucas_Kuhns Member, csevp Posts: 88 PRO
    Very exciting! We will make use of the frame profile libraries right away! I'm not a surfacing guy but I can tell that's a big one too!
  • Options
    Chris_D_Mentes_001Chris_D_Mentes_001 Member, csevp Posts: 56 PRO
    Well these are some delicious new features! the frame library will make a big difference to us!

Also had no idea I could make an arrow style Auxilery view.... Welp better late then never hahaha!
    Got some drawings to clean up
  • Options
    With the new "analysis" button, it seems like draft analysis, "zebras" and "curvature visualization" could all move there. At the moment "interference detection..." shows up under both the view menu and the analysis button.

See also:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/20405/show-isocurves-seems-out-of-place
  • Options
    Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    Great improvements! Thanks again
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Options
    jelte_steur814jelte_steur814 Member Posts: 78 PRO
    Isocline Feature is very useful. I don't use it often, but when you need it, it's very difficult if not impossible to work around using other features. so glad to find it native.
    Agree with @S1mon that there are more analyses that can move to that button.
    Dihedral analysis is comletely new to me. I guess i would have used isoclines to judge this normally, Dihedral seems more precise.
    Does anybody have tips on where to study advanced surfacing? (and i mean fundamentally the quality of design and fundamental features, not just how to make it in Onshape). I've learned a lot in my job and in practice, but would love to learn how/where to take the next step.

• Options
    M_BÖHMEM_BÖHME Member Posts: 8
    Fantastic, but I wonder why the draft analysis isn't included in the new analyze button as well? If I were the draft analysis, I would feel a little discriminated  ;) 
  • Options
    mlaflecheCADmlaflecheCAD Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 179
    Richard and I will Livestream our reactions to the latest update today, Friday, June 30th at 9am Eastern time:  https://www.youtube.com/live/K1Xu-h7Tv6Y?feature=share
    Regards,
    Mike LaFleche   @mlaflecheCAD
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,412
    M_BÖHME said:
    Fantastic, but I wonder why the draft analysis isn't included in the new analyze button as well? If I were the draft analysis, I would feel a little discriminated  ;) 
    The difference is that draft/color/zebra are shading modes, but I don't see the harm in activating those shade modes from the analysis menu.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    ken_dellach455ken_dellach455 Member Posts: 7 PRO
    Oh, this is good!

I didn't try it yet but...  For the custom profiles, is there a way to assign part numbers?  For instance if the base part number is ABC123-Length, can the length be a suffix?  ABC123-350

For Aux views, it would be cool to one day have the centerlines align with the view!

Nice work and a nice surprise!
  • Options
    jnewth_onshapejnewth_onshape Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 58
    As @S1mon and @M_BÖHME and @NeilCooke all pointed out: There is lots of overlap between "tools that alter the view" (view menu) and "tools that report information" (measure/analysis), and some, like draft and zebra, aren't entirely in one box or the other. Some tools may need to move to better match user expectations. The main goal is to create more analysis tools and to make existing tools more useful and easier to access.
  • Options

I can understand why draft analysis is historically under the view menu (it’s GPU based), but conceptually when I want to understand the draft of a part, the view menu is not where I would ever expect it to be. When I don’t use it for a while I even have to remind myself that it’s there. Working with other engineers I see them struggling to find the draft analysis tool for similar reasons. The view menu has also gotten really long.
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,723 PRO
    edited June 2023

This will help quite a few users out. Nice improvements Team!

Especially the Frame libraries. Will be showing this to a client next week.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 814 PRO
    I like the frames custom library!  I'm not certain I will actually define a library but I'm hoping this is a sign render studio might be getting the ability to define custom appearance libraries.
  • Options
    @shawn_crocker

Good point. This might also be a prelude to "custom standard" content libraries.
  • Options
    Lucas_KuhnsLucas_Kuhns Member, csevp Posts: 88 PRO
    S1mon said:
    @shawn_crocker

Good point. This might also be a prelude to "custom standard" content libraries.
    That would be awesome!
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great update!!!

En este enlace podéis ver las Novedades de Onshape en español:
    https://youtu.be/-QWp3JMW4rQ
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    kristof_onghenakristof_onghena Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    yeeey Dihedral analysis ( never heard of it ) but I still can't export a correct DXF file or work with a touch screen  :/  Maybe you should look in to your priorities...
  • Options
    Alex_PittAlex_Pitt Member Posts: 60 PRO
    Thanks for the improvements! Look forward to setting up custom profile libraries. Good to know the advanced surfacing features are there and the drawing projected section view is a nice one too :)
  • Options
    Alex_PittAlex_Pitt Member Posts: 60 PRO
    @kristof_onghena re "correct DXF" do you mean applying a drawing scale correction on export to make 1:1?  (There's an IR for it)
  • Options
    john_allen289john_allen289 Member Posts: 34 PRO
    Where Used for Publications. Win Win Win. We can now push on with single end point URL's with traceable data packages for Production.
    Great to see Inspection Table updates, love how Onshape does not let minimum viable release features linger for long without getting some polish.
    Custom Profiles for Frames, huge for us and our extrusion kitting business.
    Thank you Onshape.
  • Options
    Josiah_HarthcockJosiah_Harthcock Member Posts: 54 PRO
    Great job guys! Love the frames update! 
  • Options
    kristof_onghenakristof_onghena Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    @Alex_Pitt I mean having my dxf's in the units of my work area (mm's instead of inches). There is also an IR for but so far not implemented. Hopefully next time
  • Options
    Ron_van_DijkRon_van_Dijk Member Posts: 13 PRO
    Great to see the Isocline now included. I use it when tweaking plastic parts around the parting line. Depending on the type of plastic this should vary from 1-5 degrees.
  • Options
    jack_melvin353jack_melvin353 Member Posts: 2
    Very cool!
  • Options
    Jeff_SterrettJeff_Sterrett Member Posts: 2
    Nice updates.  That said, I find myself in an ever-increasing need for better features and option in sheet metal.  The ability to form using a modeled die, similar to what Creo offers is going to be more and more needed as we do more sheet metal work. We're adding more stamped features to a lot of products, and we need Onshape to keep up with / catch up to the rest of the CAD world.
    Onshape is lacking in a lot of areas where sheet metal is concerned. It's getting better (very slowly) but it's obvious sheet metal is not one of their main priorities.
  • Options
    Jakub_KościelniakJakub_Kościelniak Member Posts: 4
    Where's gone "comma as a decimal separator" from properties?