Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Workflow for importing parts

lni64lni64 OS Professional Posts: 38 ✭✭
edited November 2015 in Product Feedback
I recently did a design which required a couple of imports (motors, bearings, profiles...). While everything was possible I think that the workflow could be improved significantly with some small changes. Here my observations and suggestions for improvements.

1) Importing parts

a) Importing a part (step file) opens two tabs, one with just the name and some file informations and one with the actual part. I have no idea what the first tab is meant for and usually delete it without consequences.
Suggestion: Don't generate the first tab

b) Parts are imported into their own part studio. Besides cluttering the tab bar with a lot of part studios only containing single screws, bearings etc. this requires an additional "derive" into the part studion where the part is actually needed.
Suggestion: Allow direct import into an existing part studio

2) Transform of derived parts

After deriving the imported part into the part studio it needs to be transformed to the correct place. The 'transform by mate connectors' works nicely for this but it requires 3 features in the feature tree for each part (derive, generate mate connectors, transform)

Suggestion: It would be much cleaner if the mate connectors could be defined directly in the transform dialog (like it is done in defining a mate in an assembly). If 1b) is implemented it would be even more clean if the import feature would contain the transform and the definition of the mate connectors. I.e.importing a part and placing it would be all contained in one feature.

Regards
Lutz

Comments

• Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    @lutz_niggl , After Importing any file it opens two tabs, one with just the name and some file information's and second one with the actual part which is translation of first tab. First tab you can use to translate again that file without importing for local location. It is cloud storage of original file.  I think that is provided by Onshape purposely to maintain original file in cloud server for further use.

At the time of importing any step file kindly select second option (Import files to part studio only ) only then all part will come after import at the right position. Therefore no need of doing transform operation and derived operation. All the associated parts and sub-assembly will come in one part studio only if you import by this method.
    For more clarification refer below video.

• Options
    @viru, thanks for the input but I think your "import to the right place" does only work if the part you import is already designed in the right place. But if I import say a simple bearing from grabcad I will necessarily have to place it to the right position after the import. This currenty takes 3 features plus two tabs for each and every part (screws, bearings, motors etc) you import (unless I'm doing something completely wrong here).
    Lutz

• Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @lutz_niggl , You have to import step file of bearing assembly by choosing second option as shown in below image.

Currently there might be chances you may be selected both option before import therefore all parts are appeared in separate-separate part studio tab. Can you share document link with us therefore we can get detail description about that step file.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    @viru, thanks again. Probably my origninal post was unclear. I don't want to import a step file with many components, I want to import many step files with one component each (think of simple parts like linear rails, motors, ball bearings etc, the image below illustrates what I'm after). The importing process is not my problem I just feel that the (or maybe just my ?) workflow for importing standard parts currently is not as efficient as it might be.

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited November 2015
    @lutz_nigg An import direct to a part studio without the need for extra tab's would be a nice improvement. I am not a big fan of all the tab's piling up with just single files in them and as much as I like the derive part function, I think in this workflow there is no real benefit for the extra part studio that is required. 

An option to reduce tabs is to add all your imported parts into 1 assembly, position with mates if desired once they are all in (you get 1 go at this) export as a parasolid and import that file back in with the flatten to part studio checked. Now you can clean up all the unwanted tab's and derive and assemble as required.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Thanks Bruce, that's an interesting workaround for cutting off a few heads of the tab hydra. I'll try that. Any smart idea about reducing the number of features / steps required to place the derived parts in the target partstudio (Nr 2 in my original post)?
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    @ brucebartlett , that is good work around.

lutz_niggl, I have one more suggestion.Try to import your step file to Onshape as
    viru said:
    @lutz_niggl , You have to import step file of bearing assembly by choosing second option as shown in below image.

Currently there might be chances you may be selected both option before import therefore all parts are appeared in separate-separate part studio tab. Can you share document link with us therefore we can get detail description about that step file.

after importing if your parts are in single part studio but they are in required position. then you can Export that part studio to parasolid by using "Export part as individual files"

It may reduce one step(putting parts into assembly studio) if your part are in already in required position.

Here i am also having one question that why this option("Export part as individual files") not find for exporting files to STEP or IGES etc?
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    I'm all over this, submitted massive enhancement request trying to clean this all up.

Here's my ticket:

I found cleaning up assemblies before export goes along ways when importing into OS. Garbage out is garbage in. 

Trying to build clean/understandable structures. Wait till you try and add a derived part studio with 50 components in it to another part studio. Let me know your thoughts when you do this.