Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Revolution of a shape that would intersect itself (without halving it)

leos_pohlleos_pohl Member Posts: 2 EDU
The question is simple and I am quite certain someone has already pondered on it, but i do not know the correct keywords. I have a shape:

and I want to revolve it about the vertical axis. I cannot do that, because onshape complains as it only enables revolution of sketches that would not "self-intersect". I understand the complaint but I do not know what to do about it. This sketch is necessary to have for producing a dwg drawing with necessary quotas, period. I need to produce revolution from this shape and I do not want to make a second sketch that is just half of this one. I believe this to be a standard task and there certainly must be a trivial solution that i am missing. (Again, making a copy of the sketch and just keeping one half is not a solution that would satisfy me).

Comments

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,375 PRO
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "producing a dwg drawing". The dimensioning scheme of a sketch doesn't need to be the same as the 2D part drawing at all.

The main point of how you model parametrically should be to capture design intent. This is often different than the information you need to manufacture a part.

That said, if the main issue is showing diameter dimensions in your sketch, that's easy to solve:

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 584 ✭✭✭
    @leos_pohl  
    If you insist on keeping full sketch, just draw a line down the middle and select one half for the revolve. Since you're using the sketch in the drawing, the line will show of course. Personally I'd use @S1mon s approach then use a section view in the drawing.