Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Gear Mate changing start angle for crankshaft and camshaft relation.

ernie_soehlernie_soehl Member Posts: 4 EDU
I am trying to animate my engine and link the crankshaft to the cam shaft using the gear selection which I did fine and it works, but now I am trying to get it timed to see the tolerances. When I try to advance the cam shaft fowards 90 degrees to see where it is it moves the cam and the crankshaft. I have tried may different ways and read other forums for help but cant seem to get it to work. Ive tried opening the revolute mates and change the angle in there, and I've tried deleting the gear relation and doing it before hand, but nothing is working. I have only been doing cad for 2 weeks now so I am still new so any help will be much appreciated.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/99366efbf7f4a5c565b6e546/w/f93097c1041154390f7a8354/e/58190533cb94b1d8336f905a?renderMode=0&uiState=6524a37ca4acad544d96eaeb 

Comments

• Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @ernie_soehl, click on the "Share" button and make your document "Public" so that the rest of us can kick the tires to help you figure out this model.  Great work for two weeks!  Keep at it, and be sure to check out the Learning Center.  There are lots of great tutorials in there.

Adjusting the valve timing shouldn't be super difficult.  Remember that you've got the mate itself to play with, plus the two mate connectors therein.

Also adjust the gear relation between crankshaft and camshaft to get the latter spinning at half speed.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,534 PRO
    I've had issue with animation not respecting the relative starting position... There is a "known bug" in that area that I hope gets fixed sooner than later...
  • Options
    ernie_soehlernie_soehl Member Posts: 4 EDU
    @matthew_stacy Ok thank you, just made it public!
  • Options
    raphael_breton687raphael_breton687 Member Posts: 2
    @eric_pesty well i am trying to do the camshaft to crankshaft gear relation and apparently, it's still not fixed
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,421
    No bug, just fiddly. Right-click one of the revolute mates that are used in the gear relation and “reset”, then edit the angle of one of the mate connectors of said revolute to make the gears mesh. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI