Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Boolean oparations failed to return a valid part

andersanders Member Posts: 4
Hi again i have a new issue i get the title error when i try to extrude the face of a part into another part to make slots in it.

The public file:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/84af1ad065c643e68dde8958/w/dfe821d4f0d34ae59f83b4ee/e/ed4e94c7f875463d96654237

Thanks in advance :)

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    The usual reason for a boolean operation to fail, as in your case, is that it creates an invalid body

Often this is due to "zero thickness geometry" and the resulting body is "non-manifold"
    If you search this forum on those search terms, you will get the idea.

One more thing which you probably have worked out but others may not: if you hover the cursor over the red title and wait a moment, you will get an error message which, at least in some cases, will help with working out why the modelling engine has spat the dummy.
  • andersanders Member Posts: 4
    Ah yes thank you both i think i understand the issue much better now. I thought there would be a way to remove them all at once, a much faster and cleaner way to do it :)