Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Dimension does not work on preselected entity, reason for this?

lars_anderssonlars_andersson Member Posts: 20
Dimension does not work on preselected entity like other constraints do in a sketch.

If I select a line and then press "vertical" magic happens.
If I select a line and then press "dimension" the line deselects, I have to click it again to make a dimension.

I am sure there is a reason for this I just can't figure it out myself.

Best Answer

Answers

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Dimension tool behavior is similar to other mcad I've used (Geomagic Design) in a way that it figures out what I'm trying to dimension (ie. smart dimension). But Geomagic allows also preselection and I haven't had any issues with that.

I think possibility to preselect things for dimension tool would make constraining tools much more consistent. It is always annoying if one needs to memorize workflows that are not consistent with similar tools, in this case other constraints.
    //rami
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @3dcad
    Good point. I take back what I said, because I agree that consistency is vitally important.

The lack is particularly evident in Onshape drawings at present.

Interface consistency with the modeller is minimal, and the resulting burden of cognitive stress is noticeable.