Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

First V12 48valve twin turbo engine?

kyriakos_tryfonidiskyriakos_tryfonidis Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited December 2015 in General
Greetings everyone, i am about to complete my V12 48 valve  twin turbo design, that it was posted to me from my Teacher during my postgraduate diplomat (just begun, so exited :) ) in Mechanical engineering. This is my first serious design in my entire life, i never had any relation with any designing softwares and such so i used onshape as a beginner and to be honest it was very friendly in start, but afterwards things got complicated, i got frustrated a bit. Well i am a patience guy.

I used several guides on youtube, but i had to change most of the things since there is no such thing yet on onshape or in any other similar software, so i used some guides that are being represented in other similar softwares and only on V6 12 valve videos.

It was really hard and took me about 2 weeks for full production, the only thing that's left is some of the peripherals assembly.

Unfortunately the only serious problem i've encountered is that i couldn't relate the slider moving of valves with the rotation of camshafts.. so i just put them  there, with some restrictions on the slide though.

So, i am still looking for a solution but i've spent so much time, i believe that there isn't any option/feature yet.

All in all, i felt the urge to make this post, for several reasons:
1) To say that onshape is a really nice friendly to user software.
2) You need to have patience and always think a work arround, which if you are not a patience guy you will get mad some times.
3) Onshape needs some tweaking/improving in basic features, like, geometry freedom, merging with all, boolean, 3d features like mirror, split and pattern are not working that clever, ( you have to make several parts, if you want to copy, duplicate, multiply.. which is frustrating)
4) On shape needs more mating features that can include a wide variety of functions, e.g the valves/camshafts problem. Or something for spring fuction to be able to recover at its first position or something.

Regards,

Tryfonidis Kyriakos
Electrical Engineer
Postgraduate Mechanical engineer of Master of Science (MSc) in Design and Manufacturing of Sports Vehicle Systems.

Comments