Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Application can request purchases on your behalf & write access???

With the 3d pdf Exporter what would I be agreeing to if I authorized it? :#

Says:  Application has write access to your documents
           Application can request purchases on your behalf

Comments

• Options
    awkawk Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 78
    3D PDF exporter would be able to create a tab in a document (in their case they'd use that for the generated/exported 3D PDF), and also initiate an in-app purchase process. The actual purchase process would be handled by Onshape - but the app would at least be able to start that process. 
    Director of API, Appstore, and App Partner Technical Support
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    These requests should be more specific, I hate adding/updating apps in my android/ipad because I don't know what I'm accepting. Some popular game for kids need access to contacts, files, location and camera; I just need to accept though I would like to know why and for what purpose and maybe deny some of those even though it means disabling some of apps features. '

I'm not comfortable with that behavior and if some cad-app ask too much before I can see if I even need it, I will skip - like I did with 3dpdf app.

Please require exact explanation why some app needs any further access and try to keep it minimum. IMHO.
    //rami
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    For the record, we do go through and vet the grant requests of app store app. We also don't want an app to be asking for more permissions than it needs.

To give some perspective on why an app might need a grant, here is a rough overview;
    If an app would like to let you sign in to a unique account associated with your Onshape id, it will ask for access to your profile.
    If an app would like to be able to access even as much as the current document, it will need read-access (this is 99% of the apps)
    If an app would like to create a new tab to store results, it will need write access. An integrated app per se does not need write access.
    If an app has a pay option accessible from within the app (eg purchase an upgrade or purchase a consumable (eg runs, hours, cycles), then it will need billing rights.

I personally review the grant requests and if they are beyond the needs of the app, i ask the authors to delete the request. 

Hope this helps :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    powpow Member Posts: 6
    I see that 3d pdf has a pay per export pricing system.  In the beta we are not charged right?

• Options
    joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    That is correct. During the Beta program your credit card will not be billed for Integrated applications.  It will go through the Onshape billing system. but there will be zero amount actually billed to your CC....

Joe
    Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    YES! Everything that goes through the Onshape billing is free during the beta period. You will need a valid CC on file, but zero interactions will happen with that card. We are testing our backend systems all the way up to actually placing the charge. At the end of the beta period, all paid subscriptions will expire and drop back to the free level (if offered).
    Philip Thomas - Onshape