Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Timecards App

_Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
With  this app I get a continue message and when I hit continue it keeps popping up. I also can't browse for an image to insert into this post.

Comments

• Options
    This app is working this morning, Again it appears to just take some time to register.
  • Options
    I have a public document with a timecard app tab in it >> Link.

Would someone with the timecard app try to open this tab and let me know if they can read my timecard information.

Thanks
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @_Dave_
    Nope, empty screen with titles on top. In people tab it only showed my own information.

I would post an image, but is seems like Onshape has disabled uploading and I don't have any img-server on hand right now.

//rami
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Thanks, 3d. I was concerned that anyone could see my data. This app may work OK then. I wonder where my data is being stored at Onshape or the app server?
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    edited December 2015
    Sorry, I haven't been logged into the forums lately, x-mas shopping.

Timecards is a very simple web app that's tied to a database. I'm currently hosting at godaddy using cpanel and a mysql database. Looking into digital ocean and mongoDB for the future.

You can't see others people's timecards yet. You only see your data.

Public documents won't share when private apps are loaded:

FYI, timecards isn't based on onshape documents so the data you see is for your account not each document  (this was pointed out to me from a beta tester). I'm tracking what you input and it's not based on clicks or any other timers. You input the time and what you did. I prefer not to have something snooping and tracking me.

I've could have dumped the timecard information inside a document, but chose not to because this isn't what I wanted and it's not the way I envision the app working.

My goal is to send an email to someone and grant them access to a user's information. Let's say your an engineering manager and want to track who's working on what. You could send your engineer an email asking to see his timecards. When the manager goes to his timecards he'll see his information and others. 

I also want to add projects & budgets and show time spent vs. time remaining.

I wrote timecards for myself many years ago and thought this would be something others could use. Currently since I'm a contractor, it's setup for contractors to keep track of billable hours, invoicing and chasing down receivables. I'm not sure how useful it'll be in this form to many people but with a few new templates I could make it more friendly to the whole engineering community.

Did you watch the video?  

If you have any ideas, let me know

• Options
    How can I delete timecards/jobs that I don't wish to keep.
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    edited December 2015
    I usually re-assign them, you can change the customer's name and reassign them or you can change the date for a task. 

The one thing I took out in this version is to re-assign a task/item to another timecard. I need to add a removal. You're right, I'll fix that.

• Options
    @billy  I'd like to send a copy of the invoice to myself but I can't accomplish this. I can send it to an alternative email but the email name appears in the customers details in the invoice. How do I make a email address a BCC. 
  • Options
    @billy Is it possible to start numbering my timecards/invoices at something other than #1.

Thanks
    _Dave_
  • Options
    @billy Where is my timecard data being stored? 

_Dave_
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Dave-

-So you want to send a copy to yourself as well as your customer? This is a good idea.

-Starting other than invoice 1, ouch, it's part of an index. I screwed that architecture up. Let me see what I can do. Maybe I'll bury the current one and add another one for user input. I can always suggest an invoice, but allow you to change it.

-The data is in a sql database in Phoenix Az. I need to write an export so you can put the data somewhere else. My thought is to display it in a format and allows you to cut'n paste into a google spreadsheet. I just don't know how many people use google spreadsheets. The other is to dump a json file which most won't know how to handle. And then, there's csv which most can deal with. It's not my intent to take peoples data hostage.

• Options
    @billy

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to the updates.

_Dave_