Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Feature request: Negative dimensions

traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
I'd really like to have negative dimensions in Onshape. There are so many times when the minus key is right under my pinky and the mouse is way the F over there and having to go grab it to click the Flip button feels like an assault on all that is decent. 

It is also incredibly useful when you lay down a sketch quickly and want to reorient geometry without having to disable-dimension+drag+re-enable dimension+edit-dimension.

Anyone else out there feel this way?
Tagged:

Comments

• julian_lelandjulian_leland Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 59 PRO
    Seconded.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Thirded.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • matthew_loew_1matthew_loew_1 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Agreed. The negative value should also (optionally) stay negative and not simply be a way to flip the dimension.
    Matthew Loew
    Tera Development Solutions
  • traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    Agreed. The negative value should also (optionally) stay negative and not simply be a way to flip the dimension.
    I like this. I think it would work fine to always be negative. Most people using Onshape will have a strong enough math background to not be confused by the meaning of it...  :p
  • mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    Yes, negative dimensions please; essential for changed design intent.

mark
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Yes, and 0 distance instead of coincident. Or, let me put in a distance of 0 and not force me to switch the constraint to coincident.

• traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    bill said:
    Yes, and 0 distance instead of coincident. Or, let me put in a distance of 0 and not force me to switch the constraint to coincident.

This is there already. I'm looking forward to using this in design tables with sketch geometry or features that collapse to zero...
  • magnus_hammarmagnus_hammar Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    I see that this thread is really old so perhaps this is already a feature. I really hope that it is, because the lack of negative numbers in Sw is a monstrosity that bite you as soon as you try to do anything remotely advanced with design tables of drawing using API from external software. Today's in Sw i'm sitting with a configurable model that have an established terminology for which surface you call the zero plane and then a secondary surface that can vary between negative and positive values. It really drive me nuts, forcing me to fake reference planes and then remember to add the offset everywhere to keep negative values positive.