Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Deleting an imported stl deletes all of my sketches and extrudes

hedley_phillipshedley_phillips Member Posts: 11
Hi,

I've imported an STL and am aware I can't edit it in Onshape so I have begun to recreate it using my own sketches and extrudes. I now want to delete the original stl import, leaving just my work but as soon as I do this, everything disappears as it seems my sketches are dependants of the imported stl.

The file is: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a98c67ba3808e2382c3127b4/w/032e756798941e8c816b5a6e/e/65218f1f3c45e80105f40360?renderMode=0&uiState=65e379f914538c0bec80087d

I've tried to work out how to resolve this and searched but no luck so far.

Thanks,

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    Hello Hedley. The link provided takes me to the Documents page. - Scotty
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    edited March 3
    If you've referenced a sketch plane to the imported STL, then based your model on it, the sketches will break when you delete the referenced STL, and all things created on these sketches will disappear. That is the logic of a history-based model.
  • Options
    Hello Hedley. The link provided takes me to the Documents page. - Scotty
    Hi, I think I must have deleted the original sketch. Sorry about that.
  • Options
    If you've referenced a sketch plane to the imported STL, then based your model on it, the sketches will break when you delete the referenced STL, and all things created on these sketches will disappear. That is the logic of a history-based model.
    Hi Martin,

That's what I did. What is the work around? Do I not reference the plane?
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,415
    There is no need to delete it - either just hide it or use the Delete part feature.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    There is no need to delete it - either just hide it or use the Delete part feature.
    I couldn't hide it, suppress it or do anything without my work disappearing. 

think I need to go and read the docs again to properly get my head around things.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,386 PRO
    Answer ✓
  • Options
    I've recreated the issue and worked out that when I deleted or supressed the imported stl, my extrudes disappeared but not my sketches.

Had a play and I found that when I was extruding, I was adding rather creating new. 

Now when I deleted the stl, I don't see all my extrudes disappear. This is great, but going forward when I want to add a new extrude to my previous extrude but not the imported stl. How do I acheive this?

So basically. Import stl. Create a sketch and extrude it using New so it doesn't become part of the stl. But my second extude I want it to be added to the firsdt but not the stl.

Thanks,
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 675 PRO
    When you click on "add" in the extrude window, there is an option to select the part/parts to merge with.