Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

does anyone offer private lesson for beginners?

I am an engineer and have become an accomplished woodworker since I retired. I do furniture design and some of my creations have been awarded. I am very much into making complex surfaces and was introduced to Onshape by a professional designer friend of mine. I have been learning the basics the last few weeks and am blown away by its capabilities (I used to be a Sketchup guy, not anymore!). This being said, this has been a bit frustrating at times when I failed to make it work. I could spend time weeks to figure out the intricacies of Onshape for my purpose, but frankly I'd rather spend my time in my shop making dust. So I was wondering if anyone with a good command of Onshape for the creation of complex surfaces (e.g. use of Loft, split, etc,...) would be able to give me on line private lessons, and help me debug some of my projects.I live in Napa CA.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,723 PRO
    edited March 20

Welcome to Onshape @dominique_charmot!

We offer training at CADSharp. Here are some examples of our surface modeling for woodworking:
    • Acanthus leaf corbel - This is an old one and there are better ways to do it now, but it's still cool.
    • Chess set
    • Chair example - No mortise and tenon in this example, but we can teach you tolerances and fittings if needed.

Note that I wasn't too worried about the curvature quality for these models since these were either milled or printed, but it is important and something you will need to keep in mind when surface modeling, especially if you plan on filleting everything.

Feel free to reach out to us if your interested. michael.pascoe@cadsharp.com   or you can message me here on the forums.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    john_lopez363john_lopez363 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    @dominique_charmot
    Just curious...have you tried the training courses that OnShape themselves offer?  All free in the Learning Center...and quite comprehensive.
  • Options
    edited March 23 Answer ✓

@john_lopez363 is right, Learning Center is the first step. I recommend completing each of the Learning Pathways
    https://learn.onshape.com/catalog?labels=%5B%22Learning%20Pathways%22%5D&values=...

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    dominique_charmotdominique_charmot Member Posts: 8
    John, Michael, thanks for the info. I will definitely look in those. Until now I have been watching Onshape user's videos focused on one project. For instance, there is this Onshape tutorial on the design of a surf board which I found particularly useful. My main problem is being able to debug constructions that failed, A typical problem is when I use Loft with guides. Some guides show up and some other don't, even though I ckecked the constraints and connections to profiles. 
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 670 PRO
    Go through every single training course at the learning center. They have a progression from novice to more advanced topics. Skip YouTube.

Pretend you are a new hire at an eng job right out of school. The first 2 weeks are spent learning the CAD system with the CAD vendor training workbooks (old days) or training website (new days). No legit company is training their employees off of random youtube videos. Expect to spend 2 weeks training several hours per day if you want to really learn it.
  • Options
    edited March 21

Well, there is one YouTube video worth watching that Onshape doesn't teach you. It teaches document quality examination.

Your CAD should suck by @Evan_Reese
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/18600/new-video-your-cad-should-suck

• Options
    That would be useful, sure. Do you have the URL?
  • Options
    STEGSTEG Member, User Group Leader Posts: 77 PRO
    edited March 23 Answer ✓
    @dominique_charmot
    I'm a certified Pro user and self-employed Onshape consultant. I can help you if you need personal lessons or help on a particular model. I've done this before.

PS: Je trouve que votre nom "sonne" francophone. Je suis francophone si ça peut vous aider davantage. 😉
  • Options
    Bonjour, je suis franco-americain et oui je serais interesse. do you want to communicate off line via email?
  • Options
    I am French-American indeed. I am definitely interested