Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Hand Basket

dennis_tangdennis_tang Member Posts: 5
Hi, loving onshape. Been a long time sketchup user.  This is a breath of fresh air.  I didnt realize I was using the wrong program the whole time!  What I thought was 3d modeling was actually CAD.  Anyway, I have been using ohshape to reproduce some of my previous models done in sketchup.  Needless to say using onshape not only speeds up the process of design but now I have much more control and can add much more details.  A model I have been working on was inspired by my nieces toy hand basket.  I thought I give it a shot and if I don't say it turned out pretty good.  One thing that about the model is how big (MB) it is when I was done.  Can anyone look at it to see where I could've saved space (MB)?  Not sure how but do I need to post the link to the model?  Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    To post a link to the doc just copy the models url from the browser and patse
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,414
    Hi Dennis - every time you make a change in Onshape the history of those changes is recorded.  Each step takes up space so the more changes you make the bigger the model gets.  Not sure how a model like this got so big so quickly.  If you delete (and trash) your local copy and make a new copy from your public document, the history will be purged and the file is now 5MB (if of course you don't mind losing the history).  For a part like this you might want to consider modeling one quarter of it and mirroring twice - it would save you a lot of effort.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    That makes sense.  I guess as long as the model is what I envisioned it, losing the history wouldnt be so bad. Also modeling half would definetently speed up the prcess and save space.  Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Options
    I took your advice Neil and retried this model again.  I was able to employ a different strategy, this time only modeling 1/4 of the model and mirroring it 2 times.  was able to employ the sweep functions well.  doing so has reduced the model to 1/3 the size.  Thanks again.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/944aa0a38cd442528d00a98d/w/490a46c5011645eda83e61aa/e/94ef6e8d2e8b4c03afde1085
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,414
    No worries, glad I could help
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI