Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

HNY! Onshape with my 8 y.o daughter, grade 3 geometry homework

daniel_chowdaniel_chow Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in General
Happy New Year guys! 

I'd like to share with you something neat I did with my daughter with Onshape. So she just turned 8, her name is Abigail, she is in grade 3. She had some make-up math homework to do. Its a geometry assignment where they are learning things like triangles (equilateral, right), rectangles, squares in 2D and 3D. Her teacher wants her to find a building, draw it by hand and using multimedia (thats where Onshape comes in) and explain how the geometry features make up the design and construction of the building. 

She choose our shed. My first thought is to use Google Drawings to snap together some boxes, rectangles and triangles to make the shed. But I figure we could make it 3D if we use Onshape.  :) She likes drawing on the computer using Pixlr.com and MS Paint so I figure she might like Onshape.

I also figure lets use my crappy first generation Chromebook. Its 4 years old, only a Terga (old cell phone) processor with 1GB RAM. I wanted to see Onshapes performance on it. I was surprised to find that it wasn't noticeably different than my 2015 Chromebook with an i3 and 4GB RAM and my i7 PC. 
Well here's what happened: 

Video

The she she choose to draw

What she drew with my help of course. :) She was able to add the purple door herself and change the colors herself too. 

Here is the assignment, note the 3D stuff

Comments

• Options
    Jeremy_21Jeremy_21 Member Posts: 7
    Good on ya! STEM in action and what a great example you are setting for us all. Happy New Year's!
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Great stuff. Did she share the model with her teacher?
    //rami
  • Options
    cadmandocadmando Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    One of the most intuitive uses I've seen for Onshape, well done, has your daughter got her own account.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Yes she has her own Onshape account :)

The first thing I did was get her to share the model with me. Thats when I got a chance to try out the realtime sharing in Onshape. I use the share feature a lot to check on my student's models and optimize their work for 3D printing. But this is the first time I used the realtime collaboration features ... mostly to fix my daughter's tiny mistakes. I dn't know why I'm surprised but realtime sharing in Onshape WORKS!!! Lots of examples of realtime collaboration of documents (Google Docs / Drive, Office 365, Zoho Office), but truly AMAZING that this could work in CAD using WebGL. 

I see my daughter has a learning unit on measurement coming up soon (grade 3). This teacher likes to draw pictures as part of the assignment, I have a feeling we'll be using Onshape again. She loved it! And within 1/2 an hour she was able to do a something herself with minimal help. 

Here is the finished model that we printed for the assignment, I left her to change the colors herself. I only helped her in the end rotate the model and position it for a screenshot.

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    This is some homework I did a while back with my nine y.o. daughter, good excuse to use Onshape. Project not quite as big as yours @daniel_chow
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Uhm Bruce can you show me how to make the cone? Also please tell me you gave her a mouse! LOL

I'm going to guess there are not many women in this field. Maybe your daughter and Abi will be collaborating on the next big thing in Onshape! 

I should mention that a fellow teacher, the AP calculus teacher, has expressed interest in using Onshape to demonstrate how 3D objects are rendered from 2D drawings which is apparently how its done in calculus as well. I was going to send her one of my students in my STEM program who is also in her class to demonstrate the technique in rendering 3D objects from 2D designs which I imagine they are going to use link to a function they're studying. 

I'll make sure to get some pics if this goes anywhere. 
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @daniel_chow not easy teaching kids, I appreciate what you have done with Abigail and might have to push mine a bit harder to actually drive Onshape themselves, I think I did most of the work on this one.  

Two easy ways to create a cone are:
    1. Revolve a Right angle triangle around the axis of the a or b edge's, not c edge (the hypotenuse).
    2. Extrude a circle with a taper and a length which exceeds the converging point of the taper. 
    I'd add some picture if I had more time but think you should have not trouble working these out. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    john_doubledayjohn_doubleday Member Posts: 58 EDU
    INSPIRING ARTICLE