Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Default settings

kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
Every time I start a new file in Onshape my units are set to inches, when I use mm. How do I change this?

Also when I create a sketch on a plane (new sketch) I want the view to orientate normal to the sketch plane. Currently I have to right click and select the menu "view normal to sketch plane" but is there a way to set this as a default so new sketches automatically orientate the view normal to plane?

These are little things but it is the little things that make the biggest difference to most users, and the little things that irritate the hell out of people. My pet hates on defaults for Onshape are:

1. Units - as above
2. Sketch plane view normal - as above
3. When I start Onshape I want the window to maximise in the screen
4. How I have to select or click on dimensions twice before they go into edit mode after applying.
5. No way to organise features or bodies in the tree

Am I missing something?

Comments

• Options
    john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 360
    For #1, click on your username in the upper-right corner and select "Profile". Click the "Settings" tab and then you can change your "Default length units".
    For #3, that's under the control of the browser and not the application running in the browser.
    For #4, we'll take a look at that.
    For #5, we hear the feedback about this loud and clear. We are working on improving this. Stay tuned.

Thanks
    -John
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    Can I add "I want to be able to edit a forum post" to that as well?

A few other annoyances:

6. no way to control the appearance of dimensions in sketches (I'm fussy, but I like to have radial dims with a horizontal leader in sketches for example).
    7. No mathematical expressions in dimensions for example, I might say 10+2.5 (to return a dimension of 12.5mm). Any SolidWorks user knows this is a key benefit of the SolidWorks sketcher. At the very least we need +, -, *, \ operators.
    8. General mouse travel....click...up to menu bar...select...dialogue entry...click click..etc. Why can't we have a pop up menu like the SolidWorks S key or the Autodesk marking menu? 
  • Options
    fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    I agree, there needs to be more control over the setting and options. As it gets more complex, the options will grow. All settings should be located in a single place, and be searchable.

BTW, "N" shortcut on the keyboard toggles normal. I was hitting the N key in SW last night and getting very frustrated, hah!
  • Options
    For #5.5, mouse over the top-right corner of your post and the gear icon will show up with "Edit".
    For #7, we hear the feedback about this loud and clear. We are working on this. Stay tuned.

I'll make sure we have improvements logged for your other "fussy" requests. :smile: 

Thanks
    -John
  • Options
    Thanks John, I missed that profile setting of units! The dimensions thing (4) is when you place a dimension the value is not automatically highlighted for editing. You have to then click again to double click (seems a bit inconsistent) to go into editing mode. 99 times out of 100 you want to edit a value after applying a dim.

On 3 - full screen - how do other apps/websites do it then - go to some sites and you automatically go to maximise in screen window mode?
  • Options
    fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Okay, here are some requests for "ability to change settings":

9. Reverse the mouse wheel zoom
    10. Change the default number of decimal places (I usually use 3, sometimes 4)
    11. Change the background color
  • Options

BTW, "N" shortcut on the keyboard toggles normal. I was hitting the N key in SW last night and getting very frustrated, hah!
    Thanks! Forgot about that. Yes I know the issue with different apps and different shortcuts :smiley: Quark Xpress + Indesign - CMD+D and CMD+E!! I always hit S in most apps expecting a mini menu to appear!

John - not seeing any gear icon or edit option when hovering. I'm on Safari on mac.
  • Options
    Test post.
  • Options
    It looks like you get the gear icon for an hour and then it won't show anymore. Interesting UI choice. See SS:

• Options
    What's stranger is that you need to mouse on the right edge of the post, _not_ where the gear actually shows up. @LouGallo‌, can we improve this?
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @JohnRousseau  I will take a look.  That is odd behavior...
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    anfroholicanfroholic Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    +1 For background color
  • Options
    sergio_p_sergio_p_ Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    For the 3), in Chrome/Windows you can press F11 to full screen.

Regards
    Sergio PLUCHINSKY
    CAD, FEA and Engineering Consultor
    +54 9 11 2250 0564
  • Options
    3dexter3dexter Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
    All these improvements are excellent ideas.

One would like to see in Onshape is the idea of number 8, one of the most practical and I love things in SolidWorks are the pop-up menus accessed through the "S" key and when we select a face, plane, sketch entities between other!

+1 For "Pop-up Menu"!

12. It would be interesting in the future can configure shortcut keys.

13. Mouse Gestures.