Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sheet metal - Heavy perforation modeling

lukas_szwugierlukas_szwugier Member Posts: 11 PRO
Hello Community  :)

I need to post some topic that i recently hit and didn't find solution in the end.

I was ask to make some heavy perforated sheet plate witch was bended "curved" for purpose of the maschine.
It finally look like on pic under. I was not able to make it in onshape i have to backup myself by other software where i made it quite fast. For those that interested it was SolidWorks.

Unfortunately i try to make similar part in Onshape but it fails.

First i started by make some Sheetmetal part , then on flattened state i make extrusion of hole, after that i think to make pattern but it is not possible for flat pattern to make it so i think make it in sketch.
And then happened . Pattern in sketch are fun and easy when you have small amount of objekt, but when you need like in my example need whole bunch of them to be specific 2674 holes things appear much tricky.
After few tryouts i make my partstudio go stuck, some error appears with message to contact support.

I have these ideas to make pattern before conversion to Sheetmetal but it all falls in the end. 
For example:
  1. I think let's make "wrap" but wrapp works only to cylindrical surface/parts and here i have some plat segments , and that didn't work
  2. I make export of part with one row of holes and think let's make pattern of faces and then convert to Sheetmetal. Nope! that didn't work either, on rounded face linear pattern didn't work as well.
My question is do you have such model to make in you experience or maybe someone have different approach to such specific modeling?

Thanks for all ideas :)

Comments