Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Better Booleans

fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
I didn't see any other place to discuss this, so...

1. When a part is mirrored about one of it's faces, there should be a toggle to automatically add a Boolean Union. An example is when you model an entire half a part, then finish it with a mirror. This is a very common workflow.

2. It is impossible to "shift select" a lot of tool parts while conducting a Boolean Subtract, because once you select it, it is immediately removed from the model tree! My workaround was to trick OS in pursuing a union, so I could select everything, then toggle it to subtract.

3. Can we add functionality to conduct Boolean operations with solids and surfaces? An example would be the "cut with surface" feature in SW. Also, It would be great for this to automatically occur if the referenced sketch is an open contour!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    Yes - agree. Most times I "merge" my mirror with the origin so I'll cite that it be default behavior with option to not merge, and yes, when subtracting, have option to keep a copy of the tool. I spec'ed this for SWMC and it works well.

mark
  • Options
    kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Me too. Mirror+merge in one. Also +1 for cut with surface!
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited December 2014
    @KevinQuigley - I am also very passionate about better booleans (and was one of the architects behind the current behaviors). There is a project to offer the union capability as an option alongside the mirror option. Without pre-empting a blog post, there are a number of differences between Onshape booleans and the way they have been traditionally implemented. For instance, boolean features will not fail if a null-set is created or more than one body is created. More cool stuff coming :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    The "keep tools" tick box is already included on the subtract, I have used this a number of times when subtracting cutouts from a part using an existing part. I think this will become a common practise in my workflow, normally followed by a move face, offset command to add some clearance to the cut faces.

I have also used the mirror command followed by boolean command and was looking a union on the mirror command, good to know it will be added in at some stage. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977