Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - May 17th, 2024

2»

Comments

• robert_stilesrobert_stiles Member Posts: 111 PRO
    edited May 20
    + 1 on remove an unused appearance @Paul_Arden and @eric_pesty . (or just remove... and the part or face goes back to the default appearance it came in with?)
    + Also purge all unused appearances!
    + Also DUPLICATE appearance (if this is there? I can't find it??), so we can make a few variations, like ply wood with the grain in one direction, and then in the other (because knowing which way it should go automatically is hard right?) . 
    (It looks like the "projector" is a way to apply a UVW mapping modifier on a per part/per face basis, but still, 2 grain directions versions of the same materials is often faster) 
    + Also, can any created/adapted appearance be pushed back to user's library for use in other models? I could not see how to do this either? 

(+ Also a plywood edge grain texture in the library would be good)

Its got better since I last looked at it. I'm a long term V-ray and 3D studio user, and when I first tried the render studio, I barely lasted a few hours before I hit frustrating limits. But its definitely getting better now, so thankyou for that. 

oh, and a mirror mapping tick box option in the scale control? you know, so it mirrors then next placement - so at least its kind of seamless,  :)
  • Paul_ArdenPaul_Arden Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 194
    ok, will do more experiments and log the appropriate ticket - I'm sure others have the same experience where Render Studio doesn't quite feel like an Onshape native navigation and it has been that way from the very begining (speed is one of the difference but lag is also another one). Also having that "phantom" envelope displayed around the part when spining is weird and unecessary in my opinion, especially that it accentuates the lag between navigation and display, how about having no lag at all?
    The speed different should be addressable since that is just a matter of matching how far things move based on the mouse movement.

For the lag, while there is some room for improvement in the future, some of the lag is fundamental to the nature of all of the rendering taking place on our servers. There will always be some lag which is why there is the phantom envelope you refer to so that regardless of the lag (which is dependent on a lot of changing factors) the user gets some useful feedback without any lag to at least roughly position things. While we could easily turn off that display (or possibly provide an option to do so), for users with slower connections it may become more of a problem. We'd love to have no lag at all but that is simply not possible (speed of light), like I say though, there are some ways we are experimenting with to cut the lag further.
  • martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 453 PRO
    edited May 21
    These are some great improvements that will help me a lot, and I am sure I will use all of these in upcoming projects. I have done quite some rendering work recently, for the purpose of illustrating manuals and assembly instructions, and for sure the new features (Explosions!) would have sped up work considerably here.

There is ONE THING, though, that has chewn up working time for me like few others, which has not yet been adressed: The poor and jerky navigation in rendering scenes. They just refuse to follow the Space Mouse and adjusting views using the standard mouse and keys is just so cumbersome! The steps (Angle, zoom, pan) are so large and they interact in an annoying manner, so that I never seem to get the exact perspective I want and find myself tweaking forever. 

The scene view following the Space Mouse (like the model window) would really help a lot. Any chance this might be adressed anytime soon?
    The scene view following the Space Mouse (like the model window) would really help a lot. Any chance this might be adressed anytime soon?
    It has been on our list for some time however we haven't had a huge number of requests for it. Feel free to submit a ticket to bump the number up. In principle it is feasible to add however it will not affect the smoothness of the photoreal part of the navigation (but the bounding boxes should move at the full frame rate).
    (...) we had intended the navigation to be the same as Onshape as much as possible. (...)
    That would only be logical. Could you apply this to supporting Space Mice in render studios, too?

• alan_cokaynealan_cokayne Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the great update package.
    Adding to the comment from @JosefBurjeta regarding coloured curves, I would really like the curve appearance (colour, style & thickness) to show in part studios, assemblies and drawings. One for the future maybe?
    G3 curvature is awesome. Now we just need Boundary surface to have this option as well. Can't wait :smile:

I've been waiting for colored curves so long, this would make part creation so much better and add more clarity in design process. Seeing the colored sketches, I knew it will be just a short time before we get the colored curves as well. Now it would be really cool to have in the appearance menu also an option to select thickness and type (dashed, dotted...) of curves.

It has been on our list for some time however we haven't had a huge number of requests for it. Feel free to submit a ticket to bump the number up. In principle it is feasible to add however it will not affect the smoothness of the photoreal part of the navigation (but the bounding boxes should move at the full frame rate).

Moving the bounding box or the coarse preview smoothly would already be a great improvement. As it is now, it is a guess and surprise thing: One view orientation may be just a bit off, then I try to move it ever so slightly and it is completely off in the other direction or even the zoom jumps. Where to subscribe? I 'll try to find the request.
  • Kyle_BurtKyle_Burt Member Posts: 11 PRO
    edited May 21

It looks like there is something wrong with the ANSI thread annotations now (at least on a #4-40 tapped hole).
    It's now reading kind of like I want 440 threads per inch.
    Also seeing a similar issue on an M3 tapped hole annotation.
    Is this the anticipated result of the update, or does this need to be submitted as a bug ticket?
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,930 PRO
    I put in a ticket, it sounds like some hole features are not fully updating

You should contact support also
    oh, and a mirror mapping tick box option in the scale control? you know, so it mirrors then next placement - so at least its kind of seamless,  :)
    Actually that has been possible for some time but is not a function of the projector UVs since it is related to how the texture is used. So it can only be done on custom textures or appearances which support a custom UV function. For those you can do the following with the texture:

@Paul_Arden - ah, interesting. I was using the wrong procedure?

But in the ticked one here there is no global tiling control? and in the X one, there is no mirror control?

And there is a ton of interesting more complex looking stuff in the ticked one about mapping indexs? but I can't find how to utilise these?

It looks like materials can be build like a tree of procedures within procedures, which is the way I used to build them before, but with no way to save back to a user library, that's pretty tedious 

One thing that is certainly missing is an in depth you tube tutorial on all of these !  The basics render studio walk though is there (if now outdated by this update, as is the basic tutorial in the learning centre. There needs to be more content on custom procedure mapping in appearances,  environments, the projector feature and custom lighting. I'm coming to this from a bit of rendering experience, so I'm kind of expecting to find certain tools, but its about where they are hiding. In my experience, the best renders are always about good materials. There are quite a few procedures there, and I'll work my way through them as best I can, but there are many tricks I'm probably missing

Also, the projector does not seem to have a graphical representation or helper of how a material is mapped on to a face or collection of faces/part? this would appear during editing as a cylinder or plane etc, and then when the cylinder or plane was rotated, you could see how it was "projected" on to a surface. Otherwise you are blind as to how the cylinder is orientated in the 3d space, just thinking about it and rotating it in your head .

One trick I used to do was apply a general UV mapping to a complex object, and then pick individual faces and apply a second overriding mapping on to control any mess-ups (where a grain bends for example). This seems to work in onshape when I try it but... for some reason it puts the projector features in alphabetical name order, rather than the sequential order they were applied, so its hard to see what overrides what? 

Are there any learning other resources I'm missing? 

Thanks, Rob
    edited May 22
    I'm going to move this to a specific forum discussion if that ok. Sorry for filling the "whats new"  string

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/24125/render-studio-questions/p1?new=1

Are there any learning other resources I'm missing? 
    I'll respond to the other questions in the separate post, however on learning material, one thing to note is that Render Studio does have quite extensive documentation available.

While this doesn't necessarily cover all the tricks and focuses on the most used paths to getting things done it is a very helpful resource (which I even refer to myself at times, even though we write the software).
  • raj_Onshaperaj_Onshape Onshape Employees Posts: 108
    Nice updates!

So happy for merge lines, instance origin in assemblies, fine/course thread callout, and render studio updates.

But you're still missing the option to export multiple parts as step/parasolid files as individual files!
    every time I release for manufacturing, I have 50 to 100 or so parts I need to export to step, one at a time, for laser / CNC / 3Dprint....
    Let's hope we get this in the next update, pretty please!

While we build this as a product feature you can use https://github.com/onshape-public/onshape-ts-client?tab=readme-ov-file#export-released-drawings-example as a workaround
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,930 PRO
    Nice updates!

So happy for merge lines, instance origin in assemblies, fine/course thread callout, and render studio updates.

But you're still missing the option to export multiple parts as step/parasolid files as individual files!
    every time I release for manufacturing, I have 50 to 100 or so parts I need to export to step, one at a time, for laser / CNC / 3Dprint....
    Let's hope we get this in the next update, pretty please!

While we build this as a product feature you can use https://github.com/onshape-public/onshape-ts-client?tab=readme-ov-file#export-released-drawings-example as a workaround
    Thanks, but 2LDR

I don't know where to start with all that
  • justin_hodgesjustin_hodges Member Posts: 9 PRO
    Love the Render Studio updates! This is awesome!
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aquí tenéis las novedades en español
    https://youtu.be/fgIrvUiKQVo
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,056 PRO

Nice set of new features. I found this one lately, not sure when it was added. Signed von mises stress. Granite fails in tension and not so much in compression. 
  • GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 173
    billy2 said:

Nice set of new features. I found this one lately, not sure when it was added. Signed von mises stress. Granite fails in tension and not so much in compression. 
    This has been there since the start, and yes it is a really useful tool.