Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - June 7th, 2024

Roy_MutalikRoy_Mutalik Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 35
edited June 28 in New in Onshape
Welcome to the new release! We are happy to share with you a few new features and functionalities in many different areas of the product. Let's take a look.

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

WORKSPACE PROTECTION

A new option to protect workspaces has been added. When Workspace protection is enabled for a branch, the workspace cannot be directly edited, and changes can only be applied through a merge operation from another branch. Release management, Drawing update operations, and version creation is still allowed for a protected workspace. Workspace protection introduces a more deliberate workflow; it does not prohibit users from making necessary changes, but it prevents unintentional ones from impacting a production workspace.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/fus5fd063i

Permissions for who can enable Workspace protection will vary based on your Onshape license:
  • For Free, Standard and Professional licenses, any user with edit permission to the document can enable or disable Workspace protection within that document.
  • For Enterprise licenses, a new global permission has been added for this feature. Users still need edit access to the document in order to enable or disable Workspace protection.

EXPORT PARTS AS INDIVIDUAL FILES

When exporting an Assembly or entire Part Studio, the option to Export unique parts as individual files is now available for any selected file format.

MEASURE DIALOG SHORTCUT KEY

A new keyboard shortcut, the left square bracket ([) accesses the Measure tool when in an Assembly or Part Studio.

You can also customize this shortcut from Preferences > Keyboard shortcuts.

PART STUDIO IMPROVEMENTS

DERIVED WITH LOCATION

The Derived feature now includes a location option, allowing you to correctly place one or more instances of your parts, all in a single feature.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/udg6kfznyr?embedType=async&seo=true&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

LOFT GUIDE CURVE - NORMAL TO GUIDE OPTION

You can now select Normal to Guide as a continuity option for a Loft guide curve. To use this option, the Guide curve must be a sketch.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/t3j8hon4s1

SUPPRESSED, HIDDEN, AND SHOWN FILTERS IN PART STUDIO SEARCH

The Part Studio feature list search now includes filters for suppressed, hidden, and shown features.

DRAWING IMPROVEMENTS

PASTE AS TABLE

Tables in drawings can now be created by pasting cells from Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel. For Firefox, only keyboard shortcuts are supported for copy & paste.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/crz538p5bp?embedType=async&seo=true&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

LINEAR CENTERMARK PATTERNS

You can now easily create linear centermark patterns in Onshape drawings.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ll1uigz5sg

AREA SIZE CONTROL FOR POINT STYLE DATUM TARGETS

An Area size option has been added, even when using a Point (X) or Point (dot) style Datum Target.

REGION REFERENCES FOR NOTES

Notes now support region references in drawings (ex: attaching to the face of a part). By default, the attachment point of a notes leader changes to a round circle, similar to how it works with callouts, but the arrowhead can be changed from the Styles panel.

RELEASE MANAGEMENT IMPROVEMENTS

RELEASE CANDIDATE FILTER FOR ITEMS THAT NEED ATTENTION

The Create Release Candidate dialog now displays the number of items in the release that need attention and a filter toggle button at the top right corner of the dialog. Click the button to display only items that require attention and may prevent the release from being submitted. Click again to show all items.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/6jhr7l1x6t

iOS IMPROVEMENTS

ACTION ITEMS

iOS now supports Onshape Action Items.

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

DROPDOWN AND FILTERING FOR ALL CONTENT

There have been a few organizational changes in the Learning Center. First, many of the dropdowns at the top are more condensed and concise.

Additionally, in the Catalog, filters are now additive. You can use any combination of filters to get to the exact content you are looking for.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.
Tagged:

Comments

• sam_hollandsam_holland Member Posts: 21 PRO
    Derived w/ location will save me hours of my life! Awesome addition - thanks all
  • Caden_ArmstrongCaden_Armstrong Member Posts: 107 PRO
    edited June 7
    I like seeing all the git inspired features for the version graph. Great stuff!

www.smartbenchsoftware.com --- fs.place --- Renaissance
    Custom FeatureScript and Onshape Integrated Applications
  • philip_7philip_7 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭

REGION REFERENCES FOR NOTES

Hooray! A big help for notes on drawings views.

(Hoping that next we get the ability to associate notes without leader lines to a drawing view so that they keep their position relative to the view when the view is moved on the page.)
  • adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 264 PRO
    Protected Workspaces are huge, was the cause of much confusion for non-regular Onshape users. Wishlist:

-Allow for Protection to be a bit more "smart"
        -Add "exceptions", User(s) or Teams
        -Triggers for auto-protection based on Release or other events

Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,727 PRO
    I was just showing someone how to use SuperDerive. Happy that this functionality is built in now!

Workspace protection is very interesting. It solves a lot of problems, but I suspect its use will really depend on the people involved understanding the concept. Is the intent that some companies would leave workspace protection on all the time, and only create changes in branches? The example was mostly about things like hide/show states in an assembly, but I assume that if a workspace is protected, I can't make any edits to a part studio either.

• Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 211
    S1mon said:
    I was just showing someone how to use SuperDerive. Happy that this functionality is built in now!

Workspace protection is very interesting. It solves a lot of problems, but I suspect its use will really depend on the people involved understanding the concept. Is the intent that some companies would leave workspace protection on all the time, and only create changes in branches? The example was mostly about things like hide/show states in an assembly, but I assume that if a workspace is protected, I can't make any edits to a part studio either.

You are correct, the goal for workspace protection is to protect workspaces from unintentional design changes and to implement processes around how design changes are incorporated into important branches. This will help users who want to keep their main (or any other branch for that matter) in a good state. Protecting a workspace ensures all changes happen on a branch & will be merged into the protected branch once it is ready.
  • Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 211
    Protected Workspaces are huge, was the cause of much confusion for non-regular Onshape users. Wishlist:

Hi Adrian, W.r.t "Add "exceptions", User(s) or Teams" - is this to allow the protection not to apply to some users / teams? Can you create a support ticket for the second improvement? I'd like to know more. Thank you!
  • adam_gearyadam_geary Member, csevp Posts: 39 PRO
    Wow, I will use Derived With Location in practically every model I make.  That's a small but much appreciated improvement in workflow!
  • Chris_D_Mentes_001Chris_D_Mentes_001 Member, csevp Posts: 68 PRO
    I love the new locations for derive! I literally use "Point Derive" Featurescript every day at work. Time to retire that practice.
    Weirdly notes on regions is one of the things I'm most excited about :tongue:
  • matthew_wilson165matthew_wilson165 Member, csevp Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Derived with location!  A feature I didn't know I needed until now.  I love the protected workspace option too.
  • Ben_Tek_PacBen_Tek_Pac Member Posts: 50 PRO
    Paste as Table!!!!!!!!!! That is going to save a lot of time. Thanks Onshape!

• shane_webb466shane_webb466 Member Posts: 2
    YES!!! Been waiting a while for the measure shortcut key lol
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,930 PRO
    edited June 8

DERIVED WITH LOCATION - game changer

So many transform features can disappear!

However..I do not like (always) disallowing multiple derivations of the same configuration. Sometimes for clarity/readability reasons it does make sense to derive the same part more than once.

I think the logic behind this, is because Derive PartStudio is one of the most performance killing features (since it must load the Derived PartStudio completely, even for a single part, each time) So, the preferred method is to derive as much as you can on a single feature, then transform things around.

Since you can choose multiple origins, I can see your reasoning. I haven't tried it yet, but can we set a specific derived origin for each location?
    The example showed 5 possible origins to choose from, but only used the initial selection. Then he had to edit the mate connector implicitly.
    Think it would have been nicer to just choose the opposite mate connector origin. I know it would not be properly placed if they added asymmetrical feature to that foot. But in some cases (like an unchanging purchased part) where you many have a couple of location options it may come in handy.

Hi Adrian, W.r.t "Add "exceptions", User(s) or Teams" - is this to allow the protection not to apply to some users / teams? Can you create a support ticket for the second improvement? I'd like to know more. Thank you!
    @adri@adrian_vlzkz
    I think you may want to vote this up: Set permissions (edit, read only, etc.) for a particular branch — Onshape
  • martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 453 PRO
    EXPORT PARTS AS INDIVIDUAL FILES
    When exporting an Assembly or entire Part Studio, the option to Export unique parts as individual files is now available for any selected file format.

I've been waiting for this. One question, though: Will all parts in their files be on their own origin, after such an export, or will they be in the location the're in in the assembly?

• ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,195
    @john_mcclary what's the common use case for bringing variables from another part studio that using a variable studio doesn't solve?  Measured variables?  Do you come across those frequently?
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
    Yeah, the result af a part studio's configuration or measuring some angles of one then storing that in a variable. 

Since there is no way to overwrite globals. I still use the derive method too. 
  • eric_arnsdorfferic_arnsdorff Member Posts: 1
    I’m having trouble with the measurement tool on my iOS IPhone.  It won’t show me the lower portion of the measurement box so I can read the values.  Does anyone else have this issue?
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,056 PRO
    edited June 9
    Since we now have derived instancing in a part studio, will there be a part studio BOM soon?

It would be nice to omit the assemble attached to a every part studio for replication purposes.

When creating derived instances, do we get both translations & rotations for instances? Replicate in assemblies only translates which is annoying. And with that, match all faces in part studio and then add a derived instances. One button to add all fasteners.

Has the graphics been updated not to tesselate each instance but instead make reference to the 1st instance? Can I derive a 1000 bolts with threads?

Speaking of controlling derived instances with "measured" variables, can we please add angles to the measured type. Using "measured" variables without angle leaves a large hole in the realm of possibilities.

• Lewis_MainaLewis_Maina Member Posts: 11

However..I do not like (always) disallowing multiple derivations of the same configuration. Sometimes for clarity/readability reasons it does make sense to derive the same part more than once.

Why not use assembly if you want the same part in multiple places? Derived features tend to be slower in performance
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,195
    @billy2
    This is an important point -- the new derive feature simply provides a shortcut for making copies (a good example use case is a mounting boss that you would then boolean).  It is *not* instancing in a Part Studio.  The copies are individual unique parts and subsequent features (and property application) can individually modify them.  So, we're not currently planning a Part Studio BOM or the "graphics shortcuts" you mention.  The 1000 bolts (ideally without non-cosmetic threads) should go into an assembly (where you already get both).  We do plan on extending measured variables to include angles.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,056 PRO
    edited June 9
    That's too bad, it'd really be a great step towards having one design space. :'(

As a consolation, when you get the chance, can you please add angle to measured variables. I'm using them a lot and angle is missing. There is a FS that for area, volume and other geometries. This is exciting when computing flow rates and other things of importance.
  • billyzelsnackbillyzelsnack Member Posts: 84 PRO

Why not use assembly if you want the same part in multiple places? Derived features tend to be slower in performance
    I am not going to go back to the old fashioned way of CAD when I have part studios.
    You guys do realize that you are committing to 1 Assy for 1 PS?  It's a set. Do you think replication can happen in any available assembly or should there be a special assembly assigned for this purpose? 

I'm working on a company standard as many of us are doing. One day, my day of reckoning, I'm going to sit in front of a bunch of engineers and say ok guys this is how it's done. 

I have:
    1 PS to compute pipe lengths
    1 Assy to gather pipes
    1 Top Assy to determine locations
    2 in context references to each of the assy

I can move stuff around update 2 contexts and all is parametrically wonderful.

With derived instances I could do this with a top assy & 1 PS. 

• billyzelsnackbillyzelsnack Member Posts: 84 PRO
    billy2 said:
    You guys do realize that you are committing to 1 Assy for 1 PS?  It's a set. Do you think replication can happen in any available assembly or should there be a special assembly assigned for this purpose?

I'm working on a company standard as many of us are doing. One day, my day of reckoning, I'm going to sit in front of a bunch of engineers and say ok guys this is how it's done. 
    I don't know if I'm one of the guys you're referring to but I think assemblies should go away (i know, not gonna happen) and instances added in a part studio via a feature and baking of instance manipulations done with a feature too. I want the entire CAD process programmatic!

I would love for you to post your process. I've found that even simple contexts are too complex in production because it is not possible to ensure that everyone that might interact with a workspace is at the high end of the onshape experience level.