Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - June 28th, 2024

NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,563
edited July 19 in New in Onshape
As we head into the summer months you can be sure that the Onshape team will not be on the beach when there are awesome updates to deliver...

PART STUDIOS

REPAIR BROKEN REFERENCES

When upstream features or geometry referenced from other sources (such as Derived, Import or In-context features) are modified there is always the chance that a reference has been removed that a downstream feature relies upon. These broken references must still be resolved manually, but the new Repair view makes it easy to determine which references are missing.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/cxehqwczg1?embedType=async&seo=true&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

REALIGN MATE CONNECTOR TO FACE

Mate connectors can now be realigned normal to a face and patterned.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/9rhocagnlz?embedType=async&seo=true&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

SUPPRESS FOLDERS

Folders and all their content can now be suppressed and unsuppressed with the right-click context menu. This action overrides the feature and subfolder suppression state in the selected folder.

DRAWINGS

CIRCLE AND POLYGON PROFILES FOR CROP VIEW

Crop views now have the same options for profile creation as Detail views. New circle and n-sided polygon profile options enable crop views to be more exact, especially around small part details or complex assembly layouts.

OBSCURED EDGE TO EDGE CENTERLINES

The Edge to edge centerline tool can now add centerlines on cylindrical features when only one edge is visible or only one edge exists. This is useful in Detail and Crop views where a cylindrical feature is only partially visible.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/hoza8zpkwq?embedType=async&seo=true&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

MEASURE TOOL KEYBOARD SHORTCUT

The default keyboard shortcut for the Measure tool ([; left square bracket) now also works in Drawings. Reassigning this shortcut to another key is a global change across Part Studios, Assemblies and Drawings.

DOCUMENTS

MEASURE TOOL TOLERANCE

In the Measure tool, an asterisk (*) now indicates if a measurement is greater than zero but less than 10 nanometers for distances or 0.1 degrees for angles.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/cbrgc1uo22?embedType=async&seo=true&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

VIEWING VERSIONS AND HISTORY

When a version or a history entry (the incremental changes between versions) is selected for viewing, a newly styled banner is now shown to make it clearer which actions are available.

RESTORING VERSIONS AND HISTORY

When a version or history entry is restored to the active workspace or branch, effectively undoing all the changes above it, a new dialog prompts the user to ensure that the chosen action is intentional. The description in the dialog also makes it clearer what will be restored and where.

FEATURESCRIPT

GET ALL ATTRIBUTES

Attributes in FeatureScript provide a powerful mechanism for adding data to entities within a context and then retrieving them later or using them as a filter, either in the same feature, a downstream feature, or even another context. The names of assigned attributes may be unknown if they were added based on some logic, or the feature was created by a third party, making them difficult to retrieve. To solve this issue, a new function, getAllAttributes, returns a map of all named attributes assigned to a single entity.

RELEASE MANAGEMENT

RELEASE ALL CONFIGURATIONS

Configured Part Studios and Assemblies with a single list input can now have all their configurations released at the same time without having to add them to the Release candidate one by one.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/peaxe7zx1r?embedType=async&seo=true&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

ENTERPRISE ANALYTICS

GOOGLE MAPS™️ INTEGRATION

Reports with maps indicating the location where a user has signed into Onshape now use the Google Maps mapping service for more accurate and up to date information.

DOCUMENTATION

NATIVE LANGUAGE SEARCH 

The search tool in the Help documentation will now accept keywords in the user's selected language.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.
Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
Tagged:

Comments

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,727 PRO
    Very nice. I can use most of these right away, especially the new view repair tool and the release all configurations.
  • matthew_wilson165matthew_wilson165 Member, csevp Posts: 5 ✭✭
    I'm going to use repair view so much.  What a release!
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,140 PRO
     The repair view looks great, I am always going back to earlier versions to help fix lost references, this should make it much easier. Thanks
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • sam_coolersam_cooler Member Posts: 1 EDU
    I like repair view, seems like the only way to get two views in the same window. It'd be great if there were a way to just have two views of the current studio, in different orientations / settings. Possible in other software; is it possible in onshape?
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,838 PRO

This looks very useful. Thanks team!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • robert_johnstonrobert_johnston Member Posts: 31 PRO
    I like repair view, seems like the only way to get two views in the same window. It'd be great if there were a way to just have two views of the current studio, in different orientations / settings. Possible in other software; is it possible in onshape?
    Duplicate your web tab, and position them side by side or on different monitors, you can have multiple browser windows open on the same part studio.
  • bill_schnoebelenbill_schnoebelen OS Professional, Developers, User Group Leader, csevp Posts: 119 PRO
    This is a good one!
  • TechRienTechRien Member Posts: 2 PRO
    What a nice update! I am going to enjoy the repair tool!

• dave_thompson714dave_thompson714 Member Posts: 2
    These look like great improvements.  Not seeing them yet in current projects.  When can we hope to see these new features?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,563
    These look like great improvements.  Not seeing them yet in current projects.  When can we hope to see these new features?
    It will take a few days - should be Tuesday latest.
  • billyzelsnackbillyzelsnack Member Posts: 84 PRO

REPAIR BROKEN REFERENCES

Looks incredible!
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,056 PRO
    repair tool looks really interesting, it would be nice to have an option to delete warnings & errors without selecting each one individually and deleting them.

Suppress a folder in a part studio, finally, yahoo!

• sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    edited June 30
    Repair view is great!
  • danny_paynedanny_payne Member, User Group Leader Posts: 39 PRO
    Great updates. Excited to try out them out on my projects.
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,727 PRO
    @YWC
    Ugh. I haven’t had a chance to investigate, but yeah. The whole point of folder suppression would be to make configuration management easier. If that’s not solved now I really hope this is a step towards that. 
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,930 PRO
    Awesome Update!

I've been wanting Onshape to highlight a ghost of the previous feature location when fixing broken references forever.
    Just like SolidWorks.

But leave it to Onshape to go one step further and show the original model with simultaneous view manipulation.
    That's cool. And so much nicer to see the fully realized result of those selections at the same time as well.

I've been doing it the two window way and rolling back each one at time. This is going to be huge.
    Well done.
  • Nick_HolzemNick_Holzem Member Posts: 104 PRO
    The first 3 are great additions. The only thing missing from MC positioning is to allow selection on an edge at a percent along the selection. Much like @Evan_Reese's 3D Points FS. (That and 3 point MC creation)
  • robert_stilesrobert_stiles Member Posts: 111 PRO
    @S1mon this is what I discovered, and commented further up string. Its more of a shortcut as @YWC also suggests. Like you say, its almost there, but not quite. 

And as I keep banging on about, it would be X10 more powerful if this folder suppression (and suppression in general) could be controlled by an expression. 
  • nick_lumbnick_lumb Member Posts: 26 PRO
    I love the suppression of folders :smiley:
  • Max_KlugeMax_Kluge Member Posts: 15
    Cool update! Especially the broken reference fixing is very nice!

But putting center lines to isometric views will only do something for optics as long as the measuring / dimensioning in isometric views is not fixed. 
  • STEGSTEG Member, User Group Leader Posts: 85 PRO
  • JosefBurjetaJosefBurjeta Member Posts: 19 PRO
    edited July 2
    In 2D it's a nice step towards the true 3D referenced geometry and not just a bunch of lines, which either are or are not visible. Currently anything that is not visible in a view simply doesn't exist for 2D drawing and that's a shame. Having the centerline being able to work using only one visible edge - that's awesome, will really use it a lot and it takes away the pain of 3D sketches. 

Asterisk in measurement tool is also really cool. Now you don't need to click or hover over the number to see the actual result. Unfortunately I don't think it's good to show "within tangent tolerance". Firstly we don't know what is the G1 tolerance value and secondly clearly even a small difference (0.029°) will create bigger issue (0.031°) with simple 1 mm offset. One can argue that this is really small deviation, but true tangency is simply zero.

It's also possible to measure 0.000° with asterisk which is shown as 0.0000000° yet there's still some difference, which cannot be shown :disappointed: I believe this value should not have asterisk in there.

Repair manager have potential, I like the idea and really like the secondary window, which is easy to access. Unfortunately current version is basically the same as Compare history with additional option to show selected entities and have synchronized view. I would like to see something like PTC Creo Parametric repair manager - there you have the option to evaluate broken references - some will be automatically updated (since the system knows), some you can manually relink and the rest can be deleted. Unfortunately we just have to select everything again for now, but I have hope. :smile:

I like the performance improvement for hatching. I had an issue in the past with six, simple intermediate rings which took over 3 minutes to complete. Now it's done in few seconds. 

Also I would like to ask the community or anyone from PTC, what does this line in changelog means?
    "Improved ‘Create selection’ for select chain (tolerance)". I don't see a difference, is there some slightly bigger tolerance introduced, so the chain/loop will always select all eligible edges? 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,563
    "Improved ‘Create selection’ for select chain (tolerance)". I don't see a difference, is there some slightly bigger tolerance introduced, so the chain/loop will always select all eligible edges? 
    It is related to the asterisk in the measure tool. If the measure tool says "within tolerance" then create selecttion > edges > tangent connected will work.