Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Slicing a model into multiple pieces for printing?

CodyHCodyH Member Posts: 22
Is there a quick way to horizontally slice a completed model into smaller pieces for printing? Cura has a feature to "cut at object bottom" but then you would have to invert 180 degrees to finish the rest, which doesn't work for objects that require a particular orientation. So for this purpose I'm wondering if we can easily slice the model into, for example, three pieces and save each one as a separate .STL. Would certainly help with super long prints! Thanks

Answers

• Options
    øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    Sure. Just create a plane (or multiple planes) where you want the split, and then use "Split part". Then export the new parts to separate STL files. Real easy and super quick to do. You will need to run the "Split part" command for each plane, though. You can't split into multiple parts all at once (AFAIK).

• Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Sure. Just create a plane (or multiple planes) where you want the split, and then use "Split part". Then export the new parts to separate STL files. Real easy and super quick to do. You will need to run the "Split part" command for each plane, though. You can't split into multiple parts all at once (AFAIK).

You can only select one tool for the split, but you can construct a surface in such a way that it splits it into 3+ parts.

For example the following surface that I made splits my part into 5 parts

Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    In this case I would first transfer the model into a new tab via the derive function before cutting, that way you can retain the original part without the cuts. However for your exercise this may not be important. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    @jakeramsley, that's a useful tip, thanks. However, if straight plane splits is what you need, then splitting by planes is also quick and easy. If the split is more complex, then using a surface as you described will be the preferred method.
  • Options
    LumenLumen Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Apply to use App store beta, there is a slicer.
  • Options
    Lumen said:
    Keep in mind that a slicer is something entirely different than what @CodyH asked for. He wants to split a part into multiple parts for printing, and then slice it using some desktop software (of which there are many). Slicing with the integrated Onshape app (if one wants to try that) will still depend on the part being split beforehand, using one of the methods outlined in this thread.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Lumen said:
    Keep in mind that a slicer is something entirely different than what @CodyH asked for. He wants to split a part into multiple parts for printing, and then slice it using some desktop software (of which there are many). Slicing with the integrated Onshape app (if one wants to try that) will still depend on the part being split beforehand, using one of the methods outlined in this thread.
    Please check the 'Laser' mode. This slices the model and lays out the slices as a 'nest' for output as DXF. The OP did not say what they wanted to do with the model, but this app may do exactly what they are looking for.

If the OP needs the part slices (or laminated) in the part studio, here is a public document that shows how to do it;

Here is the public document;

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/36a6078f4aaa41c482284016/w/62f9ebbe355a443c9d5b8638/e/60b6ab9b3b2c4a30a8cbc404

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    CodyHCodyH Member Posts: 22
    edited January 2016
    Thank fellas! I think I was on the right track by using a plane to split the part, but I wasn't familiar with exporting individual parts from the feature tree. Well that was easy! 

I just added a couple offset planes from the plane I had at the bottom of my model and split at those intersections. Worked like a charm! Thanks again!

EDIT: After posting this I now see have been more replies (hadn't refreshed the browser). My intention was to simply split the part into smaller pieces for printing and then I would adhere them to form the whole part. My motive is to break up the print time and thus be able to print on any day I want when I can be around to monitor the printing. Using the plane method seemed to be most practical for this situation, however, it's nice to know there are other methods for other situations. It's good to know! 
  • Options
    Joakim_3Joakim_3 Member Posts: 1
    Lumen said:
    Please check the 'Laser' mode. This slices the model and lays out the slices as a 'nest' for output as DXF. The OP did not say what they wanted to do with the model, but this app may do exactly what they are looking for.

I was wondering what the name of the App was. It is not Slices but rather Kiri:Moto
    https://appstore.onshape.com/apps/CAM/EAAEWYIOMQKBENEMYW2N7MF253CT4WYL6SUJGEY=/description

As mentioned in:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/2239/making-laser-cutting-files-from-a-3d-model

Thought I'd leave my findings here