Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Width mate

kevin_shawkevin_shaw Member Posts: 1
edited February 2016 in Community Support
In solidworks, I commonly use a Width mate to place a rectangular part equidistant between two faces.  I typically need this for fixtures that hold a PCB (Printed Circuit Board) and I want the board centered between the two interior faces of the fixture.  Is there something similar in OnShape.  I am exploring OnShape now.  I have looked at the Pin Slot mate, but it's just too specific for just one task. 

Answers

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 621
    If it is between two faces of the same part, you can move the mate connector into the middle with the 'Between entities' option.

1. I have two parts that I want to center one inside of the other in my assembly.  Because it is a rectangular hole, there is no implicit way to get the center of it.

2. I went to my assembly and inserted the grey part.  The first thing I did was start a mate connector on the middle of the edge in the direction I wanted.

3. Change the type from 'On entity' to 'Between entities'.  For the entity to be between, select the opposite face.  This will put the mate connector, aligned the way it was before, between the edge and the face.  This now gives me a point that is in the middle of the two faces.

Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • john_christensen307john_christensen307 Member, OS Professional Posts: 3
    That's excellent for when it is between "two faces of the same part" but what about two faces of a different part.  For example.  I am working on aligning my battlebot wheels in the middle of my frame (multiple pieces).  I have shared my bot, Maximum Event with the support staff.
  • ArmindiloArmindilo Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    As noted, this doesn't work on faces of different parts. Is there a solution yet?
  • raj_Onshaperaj_Onshape Onshape Employees Posts: 82
    Armindilo said:
    As noted, this doesn't work on faces of different parts. Is there a solution yet?
    Can you share an example ? One can also offset mateconnectors to achieve the desired effect
    Armindilo said:
    Can you share an example ? One can also offset mateconnectors to achieve the desired effect
    Offset would only work if the distance between the faces is constant, which it would not be of one of the items we on a slide or similar mate. 

I can't do an example right now, but just create an assembly with 3 parts and try to mate one equidistant between the other two, regardless of the distance between the two changes.

I'll model up an example later on tonight if needed.
    3dcad said:
    Not really. That solution only works if the items are on Slider mates. If I want it to work on other arrangements where things are not always in line, and are free to move around in multiple directions, I end up having to add a lot of other mates to try to make it work properly, as well as having an opportunity for error if I don't calculate the original midpoint properly, since it seems to need to be set up manually. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/63edd3009dcfb0269fbaa894/w/cd6411299a5477651df1cc97/e/93ac2ff9499805d08a9512b9
  • nathan_gfnathan_gf Member Posts: 2
    I also find the width mate very useful.  
    In this example I mated the yellow block as I would like it.  But the pin slot mate only works because I added the blue part underneath.  The blue part also won't work if the walls need to be moved, unless it is defined in context to the assembly.
    If I had wanted to center between the walls that would be a nice mate to be able to add.  

Another way might be to allow defining an assembly mate connector.  Then I could make a mate connector that is in the center of the two walls, and use a pin mate.

Another nice thing would be to be able to lock rotation within the one mate.  Either as part of the pin slot mate, or if there were a new mate for width.

Here is the assy
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c626f606201f02555c041717/w/c2fe71c06476213040360097/e/a04fb84b13eaf7cddc410110