Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Holy CAD batman!

Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
Pow!

So I have one client on Onshape and just made a security camera mounting plate. A few seconds later (no lie it was seconds) he was on the document and did a quick check on the part and dimensions on the other side of the city. Texting on our phones we changed some dimensions (OS needs a chat window for users on the document FYI) Within minutes I had approval to fire up my laser cutter and I am confident we have done the critical 'measure twice cut once' step. This was completed in 5 min.

In the past it would have had me saving the file out in PDF sending via email, getting him to mark it up, in this case he would have printed it out and hand marked up the document and then taken a picture of it and send it back via email or text. Then I would make the change and again repeat the above. This would have taken 3 rounds and I would guess an hour of each others time. 

THIS IS AWESOME! 

Comments

• Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    @Ben Great story.  Looking forward to exactly that.  I've been conversing with a casting vendor today through screen shots, phone conversations, emails, and parasolid files.  It would be so much more efficient if it could all be done in Onshape... even the voice.
  • Options
    In a similar vein... its been rumored the next version of IE may allow inking in the browser.  It would be killer if inking on top of Onshape could eventually be obtained.  From an informal and formal review/markup perspective that would be really efficient.
  • Options
  • Options
    john_mceleneyjohn_mceleney Onshape Employees Posts: 57
    @Ben - Great story! Thanks for sharing.  
    @pdy - invite your casting vendor to Onshape : -)
  • Options
    jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91
    @Ben Thanks!  What a great story.  That's really the whole goal here: let teams get design work done faster, better, and with more fun and less hassle.  Nothing we do here matters unless and until that happens.  Thanks for making our day!
  • Options
    @JohnMcEleney I would gladly invite my casting vendor... But it is my day job and as of yet my company would be hesitant on this - but not me.  Also, I would need specific tools for review with the vendor - tools like draft analysis and thickness checking.