Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

parallel faces

arturs_ziprisarturs_zipris OS Professional Posts: 27 PRO
Helo!
How to make two faces of different parts parallel, but remain movement ability by X Y Z axes freely?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    You can't constrain or mate anything and still have all 3 axis of free movement. But after constraining or mating you could delete the mate and again have full movement.
  • Options
    In SolidWorks it is called Parallel, in SolidEdge it is floating coincident , So, it is definetly possible to remove 2 rotational axes, all the question is if OnShape can do it now or it will be avaliable in later updates. Or, maybe there is any other way, how to achieve such result. 
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, it appears I don't fully understand what you have described. I also don't understand these functions in solidworks or solidedge either so I best leave this to someone with a better understanding. 
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Here is a public document with several common mating conditions demonstrated.
    The link pasted here specifically shows you parallel.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6ba1e39775d942b78b0c84f1/w/cdfcad3a3d7f4565ad4ffef4/e/899a2e14c86c4add86443325

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    @philip_thomas Nice post, but this it not the thig I need. Here is only one axis freedom left. I need to remove only two axis of rotation and leave one axis (ind this case blue one) and allow tranlations in X Y Z directions. This will keep to faces paralel, but movable in any direction and rotatable around one axis.
  • Options
    @_Dave_  You can find some example here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U1-X5ogsKA If you will see at robots last axis, you will notify that is always remain parallel to the horizont, but moves up, down and sideway, also rotating around vertical axis. 
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Artus - it is entirely doable, you will need two additional helper parts (blocks) that are hidden in the assembly.
    Here is a working example; 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/23908be0656f678363dd353b/w/55cda5dc3cc03942241e695a/e/e4b47b44f48de583cfe6f548

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    Having just posted this, i can see how to do it with one less part. No doubt you or someone else here will improve the solution further :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    Yeah, of course we can do that with additional part, but that is long way to do that. But anyway, thanks - it solution for now!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    @arturs_zipris - don't forget to add a feature request for this if is important to your work.  That's how new features get implemented in Onshape.

• Options
    malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    Yes please add a request for this through feedback tool if you haven't already done so. BTW the parallel in other CAD systems is not same as X, Y, Z degree of freedom as it can also rotate about Z (or one axis). Ofcourse if you add two parallel it will take the Rotational degree of freedom out. A mate with X, Y, Z could be useful and we could call it cartesian mate. So far we have tried to keep the mates to actual joint between two connected parts. In cases when we need to define cartesian motion typically there are more parts connected together to give cartesian motion between two un-connected parts. If you do model all parts and relative motion between them you can get the correct motion of a part with respect to grounded parts. 
  • Options
    @malay_kumarAlready placed request for improvement. And thanks for help!
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I just had the same problem, I  need to align a castor wheel assy main pivot vertical to the ground. Messed around trying find a way to do this with current set of mate and doesn't seem possible. My initial "go to" was to add limits to the z direction on the planner mate but no can do.

We need a normal to or parallel mate or maybe just a small mod to the add z limits to the planner mate.  

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited February 2016

This is the mate I was looking for.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    ^ That one gets a Voteup just for the hand drawn image! :) 
    (and yes, i would like one of those mates too)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    @brucebartlett Make any sized cube, add planar mate to cube and base and sliding mate to cube and part you want to be parallel. Then just hide this part. I mean it is possible and exactly this way I am doing it now. So, some few extra steps, but I can do it. If any questions regarding this mate, just ask.