Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Share part studios between different Documents.

Marco_SavaryMarco_Savary Member Posts: 12
edited February 2016 in Using Onshape
I'm not totally familiar with OnShape Workflow yet.  Can I share part studios or parts between documents/assemblies? Ex: I want reuse a Hex head M10x50 between documents.

Comments

• Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    Sure you can. Just right click any part studio tab and select copy to clipboard. then in any other document click the + in the lower left corner and select paste tab.
    HTH
    _Dave_
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @Marco_Savary ,Onshape documents are like containers, in which they contains assembly, drawing and part studio tabs. Currently in Onshape document to document referencing are not available. User can use and copy part studio of different document. This facility is not available for assembly and drawing. User have to use "copy to clipboard" option to copy the part studio and "paste tab" option to paste in different document.In future we will hope that this facility will also available for assembly and drawing studio also. Kindly refer below video for more detail.

• Options
    Viru your video is good. Thanks for the copy and paste tip inside of a document.

I'm looking to assemble a part that resides on "documents A" into "documents B". But as you answered it is not possible right now.

-A part released with a drawings inside of a document cannot be reused with another document. It must be remodel.

I can't see a work flow with 10 different products inside of a document, in order to reuse their parts.
    Is it ever will be possible to share document between documents? All that external references and circular references! It looks daunting.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    @Marco_Savary , You can copy part studio from one document to another document. after that you can use that part in assembly. If you see video more closely there are two document (1st document and 2nd document). User has created part in document 1 and that part studio with the help of copy clipboard option pasted in 2nd document.
    "Assembly tab" and "drawing tab" user cannot copy and paste in same and another document.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381

Is it ever will be possible to share document between documents? All that external references and circular references! It looks daunting.
    Marco - you are correct that that would be nice. As with all things 'nice' we are thinking very hard about it ;)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited February 2016
    ^ something like that.
    Also a fair bit of this . . .  :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    Viru. I looked closer and you copied between to 2 documents. I did it and it worked good. Thanks. Very handy feature and nice work around. But still is a duplicate and drawings or assemblies cannot be copied or reused yet.

For a single or small family of product, the documents container works very well, but in a larger family of products, I may have to rethink my project structure, because every single part must be inside of a single document in order to share and not to have duplicates.
    Different! I will try that.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    @Marco_Savary, You can now insert parts, assemblies, and more from other Documents into the current Document.
    Now you may not have to rethink about your project structure.

You can refer below thread which will be helpful to you.
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/3637/improvements-to-onshape-april-13th-2016#latest