Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

webgl

I'm just starting to learn onshape. When I try to load a document or tutorial I get the message that webgl is not enabled. I'm using firefox with XP and when I checked webgl.disabled is set to false as required. This is the default setting although onshape help says I have to set it manually. I would appreciate some help because this is pretty much a brick wall.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Try Chrome
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    walter_randolphwalter_randolph Member Posts: 11
    Thanks Bruce, but I really would like to get it running under firefox. I have now tried it on another machine; newer but still with firefox running on XP. Same result, which makes me think it is not the graphics setup. As I said, the onshape help says you have to set webgl to enable but on both machines it is set to enable by default so there must be something not quite right in the advice they give. If you search for webgl in the config you get about 30 different switches you can set. The only one they mention is webgl.disable set to false, but all the rest enable or disable other aspects of webgl. My guess is I am being directed to the wrong switch but you can really screw up your machine by just going around willy nilly setting switches. Therefore, I need someone who actually knows about this to advise me. Many thanks.
  • Options
    øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    XP is seriously outdated, have you tried a more modern platform?
  • Options
    As Bruce suggested, I did try chrome with the same results. Running further checks through firefox, I believe it is my graphics card/driver in both machines that is rubbish - you would think they would just say that rather than waffling on about webgl. The funny thing is that the driver is the correct version from the point of view of webgl but is still blocked by firefox and presumably Chrome.

The reason I use XP is that it is stable as it is no longer supported by microsoft and doesn't get updates every time you turn around that don't work. This means it is safer for running cnc machines and in a marine environment which is what I use it for. The real answer to all this is to get a Mac which is what I will probably have to do.
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Firefox is better for older systems but XP just doesn't have the ability to support the drivers and other subsystems that WebGL needs. We have seen it work but on an expired OS there is not much we can do to correct it. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    Thanks Lougallo, I'm sure you are right. I tried it on  yet another machine I have running Vista and was not surprised to find it didn't work. Vista is just a less reliable version of XP with added bugs.

Never the less, I would still like to use Onshape. It runs on my Tablet and my phone but I need it to run on something with a screen big enough. so you can see something. The problem is just this. If I go out and buy another machine, how can I be sure it will run Onshape. The people in the shops for the most part have never heard of webgl, I've never seen it mentioned in a machine spec and Firefox, for example, seems very cavalier in it's attitude to webgl. Does Onshape runs on Mac or are there exceptions? If I go for windows, do I need high end graphics or will anything work as long as it is running a recent OS? I'm not a cheapskate, but I don't want to have to buy several machines in order to find one that will run this one program. I wish that your website gave a list of minimum specification to run Onshape - that would be a big help. I  would be grateful  for any advice you can give.
  • Options
    ellen_timineyellen_timiney Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2016
  • Options
    Thanks Andy. I did just what you suggested yesterday afternoon and all the machines I tried seemed to work with no problem. It doesn't appear to require any special graphics since some I tried were pretty basic. Guess it's about time I quit flogging this poor old dead horse. Good suggestion about Ubuntu - I'll look into that.
  • Options
    henry_feldmanhenry_feldman Member Posts: 126 EDU
    Thanks Andy. I did just what you suggested yesterday afternoon and all the machines I tried seemed to work with no problem. It doesn't appear to require any special graphics since some I tried were pretty basic. Guess it's about time I quit flogging this poor old dead horse. Good suggestion about Ubuntu - I'll look into that.
    You can also turn it into a "chromebook", although ubuntu is more useful in general, but just to run chrome would work fine...