Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can I "Wrap" a sketch around a curved surface for extrusion?

shane_evans075shane_evans075 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2016 in Using Onshape
I'm looking to project a sketch onto the side of a round object and I want it to wrap around the object so I can extrude it. Like this:http://help.solidworks.com/2012/English/SolidWorks/sldworks/HIDD_DVE_SURF_WRAPPING_SKETCH.htm?id=bc27a946a6044b5db933523bfd78ce83

I know there is a designated way to do it with Solidworks but I am trying to teach it to my students with Onshape and can only extrude directly from a workplane that is offset from the surface. This leads to a distorted hole or flat surface.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    biscuitladbiscuitlad Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2016
    Did you try extruding a surface from your sketch 'to next' or 'up to face' of the side of your round object?
  • Options
    Stephen_LamarreStephen_Lamarre Member Posts: 1 PRO
    I hope you have figured this out by now, though for anyone that is still unsure how to accomplish this task; you need to first create a plane parallel and offset from the face you desire to extrude. Sketch the shape you wish to extrude on the new plane you have just created. Then extrude the sketch with two end points, from here you can calculate or drag the extrusion to remove the desired amount of material in both directions. Happy fabricating. 
  • Options
    benjamin_d_amourbenjamin_d_amour Member Posts: 1
    Hi Stephen,

The only issue with your solution is the angular offset created by not translating the 2D sketch to an angular object.  As an example, If I create a drawing perpendicular to a tangent of the curved surface and sweep this into a cut, it will not create the same shape as a cut from a parallel-to-the-tangent sketch (unless you are sweeping 90, 180, or 360 degrees; in which case it is possible to achieve the same shape).

We are asking for a mapping feature, by which a complex shape can be sketched in 2D and mapped onto the 3D angular face and extruded along the perpendicular of the tangent; thereby preserving dimensions and angular relationships.  This is fairly complex bit of mathematics, as the sketch and extrude must be calculated for some small dx for the entire length/circumference. Albeit, a fun equation to code.  One example that I am currently working on is a telescoping cylinder lock channel.  I require the channel to maintain dimensional accuracy and have all cut faces be perpendicular to the tangent, which is incredibly difficult without sketch mapping.

Best,
    Benjamin
  • Options
    WolframWolfram Member Posts: 4 PRO
    Any new functionality related to this?

• Options
    chris_bottinochris_bottino Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Following up after Wolfram's unanswered last couple mo's ago... any new functionality?  Need to wrap text to cylinder.  Cannot create accurate M/F dies with extrusions (Add / Remove) on 2 to be mirrored cylinders.  I cannot create a "cylindrical" plane to extrude to, right?? (and maintain the correct angles). Please keep us in the loop.  Thanks
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,902 PRO
    edited April 2017
    +1 to improvement request

I use wrap patterns to put holes and slots in the side of a sheet-metal plate wrapping around a helix for one of our main products.

Solidworks does O.K. at this, but I have to manually trig-out most of the hole locations, It would be nice if OS can come up with a cleaner solution, maybe give us a boundary sketch based off the selected surface's "flat pattern" that we can dimension / sketch to.

• Options
    dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    @shane_evans075 I have created a feature script for this that works pretty well. You can put text onto a curved surface

You can read about it and find it here:
    http://store.parametricparts.com/store/p10/CURVED-TEXT-1.0

Or you can open the Onshape FeatureScript directly here.
    The only thing to be aware of is that your baseline should generally NOT be at the very bottom of your surface. In Onshape, some letters actually extend below the baseline, and you'll see that some letters ( like 'J') do not render if your baseline is the bottom of the surface.

Give it a try and let me know if it works for you!