Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

AUTONUMBER/PROPERTIES/RELEASING DOCUMENTATION ==> API

bill_schnoebelenbill_schnoebelen OS Professional, Developers, User Group Leader, csevp Posts: 109 PRO
I am going over in my head how to get all the data I need into Onshape. I would then have to the data out.

I currently do this with macros in SW. What is the API status of OS? What would be the possibility of porting over my current SW APIs?

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited February 2015
    We had an interesting discussion https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/1363/#Comment_1363 about possibility of incorporating cloud based storage into Onshape. I like the Tab based system used in Onshape for project based work but find I end up with too many tabs and finding them hard to sort though, the vertical list on the LHS is good but I still find it hard when you have more than about 10 tabs. I really do like using google drive/dropbox and would like them to link in with Onshape.  Example: a Tab gives a link to a directory in your dropbox with your 100 odd project files related to the Onshape doc. 

I am also interested in how standard, common, company parts will work/be shared amongst Onshape doc's. Could there be an approval process by the company administrator, which moves a part from development into standard production part which can be used by all invited members of a company.

Properties also need to be expanded on. Waiting for drawings to see how everything will interact, this is where the rubber will hit the road for me. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Bill Schnoebelen We are always building up our API. I don't have any dates yet but the API is the lifeblood of Onshape (and any great web-based application).   Allowing users and other online services talk to Onshape is going to be in important part of integration and automation going forward.  We will keep you all posted when this is available.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.