Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Use of the the new Document link.

brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
Had experience today after sharing a link with a customer where the doc timed out mid way through our conversation, he had to go back to his email and re-open. Would not have been more than 10-15 mins. 

I am curious as to how long a link document stays open before it times out. 

How have other's found the link to use.
Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   

Comments

• Options
    john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 360
    Bruce, please open a support ticket on that. The doc timeout should be 1hr and it should not timeout if there's any activity. Please list the document ID (or supply the whole URL) and what time / timezone you saw this. Thanks and sorry for the annoyance.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I have sometimes experienced timeout while writing values to function (extrude etc.) dialog. I don't have stopwatch running while working but sometimes I feel timeout cutting too short.

I will keep better track and report if any anomalies happen going forward..

BTW Timeout countdown in some spare place wouldn't bother me.. 
    //rami
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    At the pro level I'd expect it not to time out at all.

_Ðave_

• Options
    The idle timeout functionality is a security feature for the protection of your intellectual property. If your session is timing out while you are using it, we have a bug to fix. This is not something we have seen in our testing or have seen reported with any frequency. Please report this when you see it again and we will get it fixed. We strive to make using Onshape as un-annoying as possible. 
  • Options
    What I find a bit annoying is when I have multiple tabs open so that I won't have to wait for another part studio, assembly, drawing or pdf file to open when I need to go back and forth for some reason. Then finding that it has timed out and I have to reload it and wait anyway. It kind of defeats the purpose of opening multiple tabs. 

_Ðave_
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @_Dave_  
    This same timeout issue was discussed a while ago and one explanation for not having remarkably longer timeout was updates -  if your document is always on it would make it hang on old version.

But I agree it's annoying to refresh a document dozen times a day if it's open only for viewing / providing information.
    I would still like to mark work hours of week and Onshape shouldn't timeout during those hours.. or if Onshape could get me super quickly back to exact same place/sketch/dialog I was before timeout - this wouldn't be an issue anymore; but also this was discussed and it is not possible at this time.

//rami
  • Options
    Some how the concept on timeing out every 15 minutes to accommodate monthly updates just doesn't quite register with my logic.

• Options
    The idle timeout is 1 hour. It is primarily for security reasons, but infinite timeouts would complicate our upgrades. As it stands now, we don't kick anyone out when doing upgrades. Theoretically, (if you had enough coffee) you can keep a session going forever as long as you make some sort of change at least once an hour. This isn't a big problem for us, it just keeps us from cleaning up some of our servers running the old software version.
  • Options
    @john_rousseau thanks for reply. Since its basically for my security then why not allow me the option of how long my time out  period is. example high, medium or low security option would = 1 hour, 3 hours or 6 hours? Just a thought.

_Ðave_