Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Newb perspective

2»

Comments

• Options
    spiked3spiked3 Member Posts: 34
    I've been trying for 7 days straight now to figure out patterns. Still don't get them.  I was able to make them work once, but trying the same now is not working. I really hope improvements in this interface soon.  
    Mike Partain aka Spiked3
    http://www.spiked3.com
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    edited March 2015
    Last time I checked, or used patterns, they had to be bodies. So you make a body, pattern it around and then boolean it into the main body. It's not optimal but it does work.

Spiked3 you can start a new thread if you want since this one has become rather long.

• Options
    spiked3spiked3 Member Posts: 34
    @bill Thanks. I often have this pattern were I will try to learn something for days, weeks, even months, finally give up and ask about, then boom I figure it out.  I suspect this may be one of those moments. But in a few efforts since, I can consistently create a pattern now. I still think the UI needs work to help make it easier - or actually just creating a better help text with pictures large enough to see would probably do it. And then of course the critical sketch variations 'coming soon' are probably the ultimate solution.

As far as a new thread, no disrespect or ill intent intended, but I think OS just crossed a threshold where individuals comments can no longer be kept up with and I will probably stop posting my whines. Good luck to everyone, I still can not wait until this is usable in production. It is the single best piece of software I have seen since visicalc, if that puts my thoughts into perspective for anyone.
    Mike Partain aka Spiked3
    http://www.spiked3.com
  • Options
    dave_cdave_c Onshape Employees Posts: 42
    Hi Spike - we would appreciate it if you continue posting your "whines".   We want people to get productive as fast as they can, and we also want to know the things that people are finding hard to learn or discover.   Many of our forum users like Bill, Dries, Ben and many more have been very helpful and employees will jump in also to help.  On the pattern question,  you can select faces and pattern them also.   Right now they need to be pattern on the same face.  In the future we will make this more flexible.

Bill is correct that patterning parts and then doing a Boolean is a good option also - and has no topology restrictions - so often it is a better option. 

Also, if you try the help find that it isn't helpful - please let us know.   We pay a lot of attention to the forum.

I think Bill's point was just that by starting a new thread - it is easier to keep the discussion focused on the thread topic and for other users to see if they are interested in the topic.

• Options
    Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    You can pattern faces as well so you do not have to do boolean operations. When using the pattern tool check the checkbox at the top saying face pattern.
This discussion has been closed.