Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Trying to flatten surface for laser cutting, but holes from one sketch won't project.

david_fisher031david_fisher031 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
I am trying to get two surfaces to project to a plane to get dxf files for laser cutting. On one surface the holes are selectable and project fine, on the other they are not selectable. What is the difference between the two ?

The blue area is the surface I want to project to a flat plane.

This is as far as I can get.

Why can't I select the holes in the lower section to not extrude?
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
    It's a little confusing to me because I think you're mixing the terms Project and Extrude.  Have you tried creating a sketch on that upper plane, then using the Use/Project command to get the outlines of the holes and perimeter, then extude that new sketch?
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    If you're trying to flatten the blue part you could use move face/rotate and rotate the angled flange around the axis of the bend by a set amount. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    See this link for a method I used to flatten some parts but very time consuming. I am waiting patiently for some sheetmetal functionality to flatten bits like this for laser cutting.

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/12900#Comment_12900
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
    edited May 2016
    After reading @NeilCooke 's suggestion, I realized my idea would give you an incorrectly shaped part.  His idea looks like.a very good one.  

Will your laser cutter make those chamfers for the screw holes, @david_fisher031?