Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I move an object?

david_galldavid_gall Member Posts: 2
Newbie here with a simple yet stupid question.
How do I move an object?  thanks,

Answers

• Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    Use the transform tool in the toolbar, see below.

• Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @david_gall, Kindly use transform tool to move an object.

Transform

transform in toolbar

Transform adjusts a part's location and orientation in 3D space with the option to copy the part in place.

OpenSteps
    1. Click transform icon.

2. Select the method of moving the part (transform type):
      • Translate by line - Select an entity such as a part edge
      • Translate by distance - Specify a value and select an entity to indicate direction
      • Translate by XYZ - Specify axis values to move along or optionally, use the drag manipulator that appears to position the part along axis
      • Transform by mate connectors - Specify two mate connectors by which to reorient the placement of the part.
      • Rotate - Move the part about an axis specified by selecting an entity
      • Copy in place - Make a copy of the part at the same location; this creates a separate and independent part enabling you to:

- Make changes to one part and use both to create different bodies during a later operation.

- Make a copy of a part prior to a series of operations enabling you to reference the original state for ancillary operations.

- Create multiple copies of a part in order to create multiple variants.

If you need to create multiple copies of a part at once, use the Pattern feature with a distance of 0 (zero).

• Scale uniformly - Scale a part by a specific factor and select a point to scale about; optionally copy the part
    3. Click green checkmark.
    OpenTranslate by line

Before translate by line

transform before

translate by entity middle

After translate by line

translate by entity after

OpenTranslate by distance

Before translate by distance

transform before

translate by distance middle

After translate by distance

translate by distance after

OpenTranslate by XYZ

Before translate by XYZ

After translate by XYZ with copy part option checked

OpenTransform by mate connectors

Before transform by mate connectors

After transform by mate connectors

OpenRotate

Before rotate

transform before

transform about entity-mid

After rotate

transform about entity-end

• Options
    keith_waggonerkeith_waggoner Member Posts: 18 PRO
    How would I get the translate dialog box in sketch mode? Or how do I move or copy single entities in x,y,z specific dimensions in sketch mode? 
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @keith_waggoner, You can find transform dialog box which is use for similar purpose as translate operation in Onshape. kindly refer below image.

Transform adjusts a sketch's location and orientation.

Steps

1. Click .
    2. Select the sketch entities you want to move.
    3. Use the manipulator to drag and orient the sketch.
    4. Click in space when the sketch is placed and oriented as desired.

Tips

• Pre- and post-selection is supported; entities can be added and removed during the operation.
    • Click off the sketch or press Enter to commit the transform and exit the operation. Press Esc to cancel the operation.
    • In the case of no rotation or 180 degree rotation, internal constraints are unchanged.
    • In the case of 90 degree or 270 degree rotation, horizontal and vertical constraints swap.
    • In some cases, construction geometry may be added to maintain degrees of freedom.
    • Directed dimensions are deleted, and may be replaced with construction geometry and minimum dimensions.
    • Transform is supported for images, text, DWG, and DXF .

• Options
    Viru,
    Thank you for the response. But what I want to know is how do I move or copy A single entity or multiple entities In a specific X Y Z dimensional direction in sketch mode. Example how would I move a horizontal line within a rectangle .250 in the Y direction in sketch mode. The transform command in sketch mode does not give you the dialog box to choose the method ( Translate by line,Translate by distance,Translate by xyz,,,,) like the transform option the the main tool bar. this I do not understand.
  • Options
    I want this transform dialog box in sketch mode. Is that possible or what technique do i use?
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    @keith_waggoner in sketch you should control locations with constraints and dimensions and not get too hung up on "transform". If you want to move something 0.25 add a dimension and edit the value. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Neil,
    Thank you I will try using that frame of mind in the future.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @keith_waggoner But if you wan't translate type of precise movement, use pattern and delete original..
    //rami