Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is it possible to incorporate a "preference option" so we could customize our own needs on mates and

bernie_apodacabernie_apodaca Member Posts: 3
Is it possible to incorporate a "preference option" so we could customize our own needs on mates and other tools? I'm completely new to CAD, but I became excited when I discovered ONSHAPE!!
After spending countless hours looking at tutorials and Youtube videos, I purchased the Ipad Pro 12" and Pencil....... BUT NOTHING works like the training !!!!!.....................

so, if the user could set preferences, we could evolve with the training provided already.
For example: the CENTER POINT ARC tool; the previous training videos were so logical!!!, Now we need to start with the Center Point????? then select the end points????.... Not logical, I never got to use the one with the End Points 1st, then the Radius, but I just keep ending up with one end point missing my target. Now I need to adjust and compensate.

But with a Preference Option to go back to a previous version, or to set "1st, 2nd, & 3rd Targets", I would know what to expect. 

I would love to be able to KEEP the tool bar menu ON TOP as seen for the desktop model until I learn, then perhaps I would then go to the giant pop-up tool box later. Thus, ANOTHER PREFERENCE OPTION I would really appreciate.

I must say, I have waited years for a real CAD program that was affordable for me.  It has been illusive for me and many friends.  ONSHAPE is as logical as MAC software has always been.  I am so impressed and thankful for ONSHAPE!!!!!  

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    bernie_apodacabernie_apodaca Member Posts: 3
    Preference settings to allow me to keep my favorite tools on top.
  • Options
    rbaekrbaek Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 77
    @bernie_apodaca it seems you are using the iPad Pro, are you using it as your primary device to model? Please note that gestures and some workflows are slightly different on mobile than it is on the web client.

On iOS we are working on UI where users may keep favorite tools, although no exact date can be given as we are continuously fleshing things out.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I was initially tempted to ask for the implementation to customise menus.  However given the relative simplicity of the current layout (good job guys) I decided the ability for all the documentation, webinars and help files to all represent exactly what the user will see outweighed my desire to move such and such to over here.
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    At some point there was more discussion on this and there came up few issues with customizing toolbars / UI. For example collaboration and follow-me mode can be confusing if UI is highly customized. It might also mess up with updates and to be honest I don't see strong need for customization.

Even favorites toolbar could be something you raise up with gesture or hotkey and it could have context dependant tools.
    //rami