Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Exporting file format that is editable again once uploaded back to Onshape

4DeltaEDU4DeltaEDU OS Professional Posts: 15 PRO
Does anyone know what file format should I use when (exporting) saving a Part Studio or Assembly into my computer, that will later allow me to edit it once uploaded again?
I am trying to save some space on my Onshape account by saving some of my designs in my computer and deleting them from my personal account. The problem is that when I upload them back again they are uneditable. Onshape does not bring out the same features tree with all the sketches and details of my design to allow me to work on it again. The export file format I am saving it us is Parasolid. 

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    Hi - all the 3D export formats are intended for use in other CAD systems (not for backing up data), so no feature data is saved into the file. Likewise, if you imported this file format from another CAD system there would be no feature data. To save space you can make your documents public (or if your designs are commercially sensitive you can upgrade to professional). If you don't need full feature history you can still edit imported "dumb" solids using the Direct Editing tools. Hope this helps. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    4DeltaEDU4DeltaEDU OS Professional Posts: 15 PRO
    Thank you, Neil. One final question. Do you know if Onshape is planning on introducing the capability of saved full editable models from its own software?
  • Options
    øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure Onshape will never have a file format export that allows for re-importing back with the full edit capabilites, as that would undermine their entire business model (and also for a number of other technical reasons). If you need more space (or privacy, or both), you will need to upgrade to professional.

That said, I still hope that at some point they will expand on the subscription options, to allow for some middle-ground subscription at a lower price. That's not saying their current pricing is unreasonable, just that it is a bit too steep for hobbyists that still want some additional private space.

• Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    That said, I still hope that at some point they will expand on the subscription options, to allow for some middle-ground subscription at a lower price. That's not saying their current pricing is unreasonable, just that it is a bit too steep for hobbyists that still want some additional private space.

+1
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I suppose they could introduce something similar to mysql database backup which would be only for backup. It wouldn't ruin business model as those files are unusable without Ons account with enough free space.. Just for peace of mind for those who think that their hd is the safest place on earth..
    Or they make this fake to avoid version (and other) problems so that the file would be just 'link' to back up 'files' and actual content is kept safe in Ons servers.. but user could think that they have all the data backed up in cd rom to keep under pillow =)  
    //rami