Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Showing Welds in an assembly drawing

rick_chapmanrick_chapman Member Posts: 24 PRO
Is there a method of adding welds to an assembly drawing?  It would be helpful once multiple parts are joined to have the ability to show this.
Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Do mean symbols on drawings or 3d model weld's?
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    I was looking for them on the 3d models for for an accurate visual representation.
  • Options
    wayne_jayeswayne_jayes Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    I would like t be able to easily and simply insert welding symbols on the drawing
  • Options
    Wayne, were you ever able to find a method of adding either weld symbols to the drawing or adding to the assembly drawing?
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @rick_chapman I believe they are working on it. Any updates weld details @pete_yodis ?
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    @brucebartlett Yes, weld symbols are needed and important.  We completely understand.

For a complete hack of a workaround to help get a drawing out the door, you could insert an image of the weld specification you want into the drawing.  Sometimes in weldment drawings, there are not a great deal of variances in the welds specified - so it's possible this solution could be of help while you wait for the real solution in the meantime.
  • Options
    michael_hassonmichael_hasson OS Professional Posts: 14 ✭✭
    PeteYodis said:
    @brucebartlett Yes, weld symbols are needed and important.  We completely understand.

For a complete hack of a workaround to help get a drawing out the door, you could insert an image of the weld specification you want into the drawing.  Sometimes in weldment drawings, there are not a great deal of variances in the welds specified - so it's possible this solution could be of help while you wait for the real solution in the meantime.
    Hi Pete
    It sounds like you may be working on them, but the current absence of weld symbols continues to be a serious limitation.
    Thanks again
  • Options
    bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    Back to the OP's request.  I too would like to be able to realistically model a weld seam.  It would make presenting models to non engineering types easier since they often can't understand how parts are joined unless they see a recognizable weld seam.  I don't know of another CAD system that does this but it would be nice.