Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Selective Sharing

Dirk_PriceDirk_Price Member Posts: 26 ✭✭✭
For those of us who use utilizing a free account while the money men decide if it is worth spending more on a supplementary CAD system, I think it would be useful to be able to share specific part studio, assembly or other types of tabs in a workspace.  With only having ten different, private documents, I wouldn't mind being able to upload any models, drawings and dxf files into the same workspace each time and then only share the relevant tabs.  Of course, this may simply be cheating the system, but it would enhance my usage of OS greatly.  I have been using OS to share files with fab shops in my area that haven't heard of OS, so I hope it can be mutually beneficial.

Thanks guys, you are doing an incredible job.  I use OS every chance I get, but I am still waiting on a few features before I can convince my boss to do a pitch to the top brass to fully switch over from Solidworks.

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @dirk_price We have thought about having more granular sharing within the Document but today the Document is the control container.  You can build part studios, assemblies and such in other documents, use linked documents to control what resides in the "Container" and you just share that.  Using linked documents allows you to pick what goes into a document and then your sharing controls are at the level you wish to do.

I will add you to the improvement for tab sharing.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited July 2016
    @lougallo
    Linked documents open many kind of possibilities to use documents as specific containers, there are 3 major problems though:

1. Infinite document list is productivity killer, at this point I don't care if it's folders, tags, or whatever to group certain documents in their own categories.
    2. Document search without possibility to search only my documents. So if you have document test or bracket or other common name only way to find it is scrooooolling through 'my documents' or all public tests :'(
    3. Unlimited share time. If you create separate document to share, it will probably barry under all other forgotten docs and IP will be shared eternally. I would like to set shares like x weeks or x months or just set date when system ask you 'do you wan't to keep sharing?'. It is a lot of work to crawl through all the 'share docs' and maintain access rights.
    //rami
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    +1  At this point I also don't care as to what type on document organization Onshape decides only that they attempt something. As long  has it is taking I can only assume and hope that it must be something great. I like onshape put this is a major drawback.