Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sizes in sketches

2»

Answers

• Options
    brian_jordanbrian_jordan Member, Developers Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    Requested.
  • Options
    PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    IR for adding diameter with polygon tool. Yes please.
    I do actually use this tool from time to time when drawing bolts and such that are not included with standards as yet.

As to comments about using command line tools! Couldn't wait to get rid of that old Autocad stuff. In the end not faster.
    Make a grid if you want it. I would turn it off always.
    Go to Fusion 360 if you like it better. I find in the long haul it takes more steps to finish parts. I heard a comment from someone not long ago that he liked the interface since it looked simpler and cleaner. He had obviously not done too much with it and had not tried to make changes down the line.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,896 PRO
    Requested.
    Voted!

by the way anyone following along, here is the link to the IR: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/12017/add-instant-edit-diameter-to-polygon-tool
  • Options
    josh_mccullough080josh_mccullough080 Member Posts: 21
    I just started with OnShape, as an avid Sketchup user looking for more advanced features like constraints, filets, countersinks, etc. I must say I am shocked to my core to find I can't type dimensions! In Sketchup, you would select your tool, e.g. rectangle, then click the start point, and type "5,10" and hit enter for a 5x10 rectangle. For me, drawing first and then specifying dimensions seems backwards -- but I'm just a DIYer in this field so I assume I'm wrong. 

But ... it's be a great feature, IMO.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,493 PRO
    @josh_mccullough080
    It basically works like this for most tools (the exceptions are the the polygon and the slot tools), the only difference I guess for a rectangle is that you have to place the far corner first. It's one extra click but you get to see the preview of which side you are about to apply the dimension to (which is useful in a tool when you spend a lot more time looking at things are weird angle than in sketchup where (generally speaking) you do a lot more in "top down view".