Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Why can't comments be made for versions?

brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
I want to use OS to teach solid modeling to my students. I plan on having students and teams create versions of their workspaces that they want graded. The date of the version must be prior to the due date, so by grading the version I know that they did not sneak in any work after the due date. However, I cannot add comments to versions. Why? I can only comment on the Main workspace, which may have been modified after the grading version was created. In a non-educational setting, I can also envision wanting comments available for specific versions.

Brian

Best Answer

Answers

• john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 358
    edited July 2016
    The design of versions is that they are immutable. For some of our customers it is very important that a version does not change in any way after it is created. Can you create a new workspace off of the version for your comments? You can roll back to the start of the workspace to make sure they have not made any changes.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    I am not asking the version itself to not be immutable. I see comments as being different from the actual design. In fact, if a version is made in advance of a design review meeting (in person or otherwise), I would want all comments to be captured in reference to that particular design. The design does not change by commenting on it. The comments just add to the record of that design.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,353
    @brian_brady - please see the latest What's New - I think you'll be pleased,

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    I am very pleased. I saw the "What's New..." before I saw this comment.