Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Both original edge and chamfered edge shown at the same time ?

bo_andersenbo_andersen Member Posts: 4
Novice:
I have a conical shape made with a "Revolve -> Surface" and then "Thicken" the surface.
Now I want to chamfer (or fillet) the edges coming from the "Thicken".

Now the Chamfer works, but the original surface still remains. Is that a bug, or did I make the conical shape in the wrong way ?
Zoom in on "Chamfer 1" and you should be able to see it.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/250f16ea2b0e443a3b7fc710/w/30c880181a202ce91b5fe4c6/e/a3e8bb37e13be2969a1b08ed

Thanks in advance, Bo Andersen.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    NeilCooke said:
    Surfaces are never "consumed" when creating other features from them - go to the parts list bottom left, expand the surfaces folder and hide the surface using the eye icon. You should also consider if using a surface is the correct way to design your part rather than using offset in the sketch to achieve the same result.
    OK, I got it. I changed the sketch of the profile to be Revolved, that takes care of it. Learning new stuff every day. Thanks for the answers.
  • Options
    mahir said:
    Thickening the surface doesn't get rid of it. The surface body remains. You just have to hide it.
    Thank you for your answer. I learned that surfaces are perhaps not the best way. So I changed my profile sketch instead. But thanks anyway. Best Regards, Bo Andersen.