Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

circle - line fillet

kirk_2kirk_2 Member Posts: 34
I have noticed that neither SW or OS will do a fillet between an arc and an intersecting line, something that Draftsight does and that I use a lot.  The alternative is the perimeter or 3-point circle, which I personally find more awkward.  Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    edited March 2015
    I have spent a lot of time thinking about this can you not just add a fillet after you extrude? In the end yes you cannot via the sketch environment but you can in the modelling environment. Is this only to reduce the size of the feature tree? That is the only reason I could come up with...
  • Options
    paul_chastellpaul_chastell Onshape Employees Posts: 124
    It's possible I misunderstand your question. We do support fillets between two curves where the curves don't meet at a point but do intersect (or don't even). To do such a fillet you need to select both curves. Currently selecting the two curves may not work so great if the default radius is too large. We intend to improve this behavior. For now the "trick" to get this to work is to select the first entity and then to click-drag the second. You will see the fillet preview update dynamically. I made a document public where I have filleted the four quadrants between a line and an arc. Hope I understood your question correctly.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d64ef7ff44c94b4ea810c289/w/64b1bc5c0d274d1d89c58e7d/e/52af5c83def74824b5ccdc3a
    Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D
  • Options
    Paul my testing was on my iPad in a coffee shop. Can you click and drag on IOS products!?
  • Options
    ah, no. That particular manipulation doesn't work the same on iOS. Selecting the two segments happened to work for me but I don't know what the iOS equivalent of my web client click-drag solution would be. I'll find out. 
    Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D
  • Options
    One thing I have found is that the fillet dim is sticky so if you cant create one then make a fillet on some other geometry then adjust the size. then when you invoke the the fillet command again it will make fillets to the last dimension so then it should work. A bit of a work around but in the end it achieves what is needed.

Testing shows that selecting a spline and a line on my mac works fine but trying to do the same thing on my iOS device does not work. Even when the radii should work with the geometry. It works when selecting the intersection point but that is no good if there is no intersecting point. I have submitted the bug and shared the model with support
  • Options
    Thanks Ben. We'll take a look.
    Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D