Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

how create a flat drawing from a curve part studio to water jet or laser cut?

lenin_herculeslenin_hercules Member Posts: 5
I have some parts that are half round parts with a pipe going trough and some parts with lips that need to folded after cutting out. So in short simply flat curve parts and parts with angles to have it accurately water jet or laser cut to be folded and or curve after. Does anyone know how to do that? 

Comments

• Options
    Dylan_StewartDylan_Stewart Member, Developers Posts: 107 PRO
    There is an app in the app store called ExactFlat. 

I believe that is what you have to use.
    Digital Engineering
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Based on your brief description of the geometry, simple sheet metal functionality would do what you're looking for. 
    This is an exceptionally important workflow that we would be remiss if we were not working on it!

So - that's a vote for sheet metal then? :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
    Based on your brief description of the geometry, simple sheet metal functionality would do what you're looking for. 
    This is an exceptionally important workflow that we would be remiss if we were not working on it!

So - that's a vote for sheet metal then? :)
    What if we changed that term slightly to  Sheet Material?  I use OS for making DXFs to be exported to my laser cutter, so I may cut textile shapes.   It's not much different from sheet metal, so why limit the scope to flat sheet metal parts?
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited August 2016
    I also think there is a need for a flattening tool. This could be useful for parts that are formed from any flat material including wood, glass, plastic's, metal or fabrics. The flat extract app tool sort of does this but I'd be keen to get this functionally as a feature in Onshape. Maybe even something somebody smarter than me could do with Feature Script.

To be clear though this is not sheetmetal bend's and roll's and form's to this specific industry but just flattening a selection of curved face's to a plane to establish the a flat profile which can be use in a multitude of different applications. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited August 2016
    And while expanding cad to other sheets than metal you could think of behavior when thin veneer sheets are glued together to make thicker panel and when that bends the heads will be shorter on outside radius.. not exactly my concern today but might be someday when veneer processing machinery reaches the flexibility what we need.
    //rami
  • Options
    paul_stephensonpaul_stephenson Member Posts: 4
    sheet material would be even better than sheet metal, I need and use SW sheet metal ALL the time. But one thing SW can't do if flatten 3D forms (plastic deformation beyond a simple bend). This would be very useful addition for elastic materials like plastics and non-linear textiles, 3D formed sheet metal etc. Until sheet metal or sheet material is included, OnShape is just a novel toy/concept.