Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

sketches becoming less capable and more buggy

CaptainBisquickCaptainBisquick OS Professional Posts: 33 ✭✭
Some of the problems I'm noticing:
- Can't add concentric constraint between sketch arc and arc on sketch surface.
- Sketches become unsolvable more often now than in the past. I've even seen sketches turn red with no constraints marked red.
- Somewhat often, adding a constraint will turn a sketch to overdefined, even though it doesn't conflict with any constraints.

I've become pretty good at picking apart sketches by now. It used to be that I would trip myself up and could only figure out the problem by pulling entities apart and deleting some to find the issue. This can happen if you have many points in your sketch where many lines converge. The overlapping points will make it very difficult to find a the problem source. But with a lot of experience, I've become meticulous with my constraints, so I feel I'm qualified to call BS on OnShape.

It seems the constraint system has more problems and more bugs than it did in the past.

I also want to complain about a change to the array constraint. It used to be that you could remove one of these by first changing the number of instances to 1, then delete the constraint. Now the minimum instances number is 2. This change really pissed me off. Cleaning up arrays can be a headache at times, and there's no need to make it even harder. Besides that, what was wrong with allowing 1 instances? How is the user helped by enforcing minimum 2 instances? I never once saw this cause a problem. Don't add unnecessary code.

:| 
Tagged:

Comments

• CaptainBisquickCaptainBisquick OS Professional Posts: 33 ✭✭
    I'd also like to add that I would be happy to report bugs when I find them, but OnShape seems to think I should stop what I'm doing and wait for them to take a look at my document. I'd rather just delete the problem source and find a workaround. I've been saying this for a while: you need to make bug reporting easy, save a copy of the document state for your own internal use, don't force me to copy it for you or stop what I'm doing. I don't know why this isn't obvious.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @CaptainBisquick
    I hope you have put in ticket on these as things get higher priority when ticket is made by actual user.

I have also requested for creating automatic hidden version/branch when sending in ticket with 'share with support' option. I agree we can't sit still waiting for support to see the situation, it is very big effort to write bug report while working and of course we need to find workaround immediately and continue working.
    //rami
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    We can snap a version at any moment and take a closer look. Posting bugs here wlll delay addressing the issue. Please file a ticket when this happens and we can take a closer look. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    I'd also like to add that I would be happy to report bugs when I find them, but OnShape seems to think I should stop what I'm doing and wait for them to take a look at my document. I'd rather just delete the problem source and find a workaround. I've been saying this for a while: you need to make bug reporting easy, save a copy of the document state for your own internal use, don't force me to copy it for you or stop what I'm doing. I don't know why this isn't obvious.
    If you exit your sketch an hit 'create version' it will make it easy for them. Versions are free and cheap. You can then delete the source and move on and they will still be able to see where you were at when you hit the problem.

That said, I really appreciate you sharing your frustration here. The problem may get fixed faster in support, but it also think it helps other users to understand they are not alone in their frustration, and share a bit of moral support.

No user wants to use Onshape (sorry guys), we all just want to get something done, Onshape is the tool in our hands and sometimes it feels like one of the developers is an evil leprechaun that has either never used CAD ever or has a personal vendetta against you personally. We know that the Onshape team is passionate about building  awesome software. But that doesn't always quell the frustration in the heat of the moment.
    edited August 2016
    well said @traveler_hauptman

ps. what do you guys think if there was a checkbox that would make your feedback public (ie. create thread into specific area in forum)?
    I hate doing things twice so I just put in ticket when I have something to say because that way I know it going inside onshape and I will get answered.
    But I agree with traveler that it is nice to know someone else is strugling with similar issues..
    //rami
  • colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    @3dcad

I like your public feedback idea.  
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    @3dcad - auto creating a thread in the forum for feedbacks sounds like a good idea so long as it doesn't result in too many new threads each day
    @lougallo what do you think?
    //rami