Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

merging and hollowing two lofts

Hi All

I'm trying to model and 2-into-1 exhaust collector, and I've managed to create the shape I need, but I can't work out how to hollow it. My part is here. I've tried using shell, and in the top and bottom circles, creating an inner circle and then trying to loft-remove between them, but I'm failing. I need a constant wall thickness.

Can you help?
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,392
    Hi Mark - you can only shell solids, not surfaces. Make a solid loft between the faces then try again?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    NeilCooke said:
    Hi Mark - you can only shell solids, not surfaces. Make a solid loft between the faces then try again?
    Neil (and Mark),

I worked on a copy of it last night for about an hour and discovered early on that what Mark had was not solid. I changed the loft to make two solid lofts instead of surface lofts. For the life of me, I couldn't  make a shell that worked with 2 inputs and a single output. I tried splitting, boolean operations, and more that I don't currently recall. All to no avail. Maybe somebody more practiced with these types of shapes will have better luck than me.
  • Options
  • Options
    I was trying to maintain Mark's original shape. Yours is less "organic" than his original. Maybe the more "organic" shape Mark started with was causing he strange problems I was having when trying to merge the two lofts together.
  • Options
    Maybe, in Mark's original model the lofts were actually twisted which doesn't help.
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    Maybe, in Mark's original model the lofts were actually twisted which doesn't help.
    That might explain why they neck down a bit in the middle when just lofting from one circle to another.