Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Edge vs.Centre-point selection mildly annoying?

owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
Hi folks.

I find myself slightly frustrated with the default behavior when selecting Edges vs.Centre-points, and wanted to ask how others felt...

(The usual caveat that OS are doing a great job and I'm not knocking anyone's work just putting my opinion in the mix.)

A recent-ish improvement allowed us to select a centre-point of an edge.  This is useful (thanks) but most often I want to select the edge not the centre-point.  My natural instinct when selecting a line/edge is to click in the middle of it, thus selecting the centre-point not the whole edge.  This is exaggerated for small edges when zoomed out as the centre-point seems to be what's picked up first.

I find my self having to force brain to:-
(a) Zoom in
(b) Aim off centre
(c) Select
(d) Zoom out

this is tedious.

I'd prefer the default to be click anywhere along edge to select it, or hover "somewhere near the middle" for half a second to wake up the centre-point.

What do you guys think?  Are you frustrated like me, or does it come naturally and you've never had to give it a thought?

Cheers,
Owen S.

PS sorry if your regional spelling is center not centre.
Business Systems and Configuration Controller
HWM-Water Ltd

Comments

• Options
    lutz_2lutz_2 Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2016
    I somehow got used to this zoom in, select, zoom out sequence :-) But yes, it is quite annoying. Especially if you have to select a lot of filleted corners with small radii on a large sketch... 
  • Options
    srbhsrbh Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    My feelings also. I've got used to it most of the time, but I keep forgetting. I seem to use it mainly in the derive feature and I've not yet needed to derive the centre point of a line.
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in agreement. There should definitely be a hover pause required to "wake up" the midpoint.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    +1
    Pause or first click select line and wake up midpoint only on selected line second click on midpoint -> switch line selection to midpoint.

Not a high priority problem for me though.
    //rami
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited September 2016
    I don't really like the centre point coming up, although it is great when you do want to select a centre point. I regularly want to measure thickness of plates and sheets and do this by edge length and my default instinct is to click it on or near the centre of an edge only to bring up the centre point. I think I have kinda got used to the way it is now but a slight pause then wake up mid point sound like a better option. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    garnet_willisgarnet_willis Member Posts: 1 EDU
    I have the same issue I would much rather select the edges than the centre points (although'd still like to be able to select centre points as a second option.) I am in the process of selecting edges from imported geometry, making them in to OS Sketches, and have to zoom way in so the centre points don't jump up and get selected. Centre points seem to say "select me" with priority over edges... all the zooming in and out and panning is frustratingly slow. 
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @garnet_willis

If you have a spare minute or two would you mind voting on the improvement request here:-

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/5381/wake-up-centre-points-on-edges

Cheers,
    Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd